First Minute First Target

Cleaned up my specimen nugget a little, lost about .1gram from when I found it most of that was sitting in the acid wash after panning out the liquid. 
E9C11396-57E6-4CFA-9258-639DC2DB8350.thumb.jpeg.e8aa20b3a19708b315647c3c402cb7bf.jpeg07781727-49F3-4FC9-8FD6-F16438BC6F0B.thumb.jpeg.a727cb06711896ed90ace7e232a31dc9.jpeg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

That pretty much must have sucked I’d guess, how did you eventually get over it?

After experiencing the symptoms which I can't remember well now for some years and not knowing what caused them or thinking they were bad hangovers I had a reason to have some strong antibiotics.  It was a cathartic experience and it caused me to research and then I put the pieces of the puzzle together.  I had to take more antibiotics before I was completely over it but each time I could feel them working on what was still in my body.  It is a foggy 5 year period in my life.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

After experiencing the symptoms which I can't remember well now for some years and not knowing what caused them or thinking they were bad hangovers I had a reason to have some strong antibiotics.  It was a cathartic experience and it caused me to research and then I put the pieces of the puzzle together.  I had to take more antibiotics before I was completely over it but each time I could feel them working on what was still in my body.  It is a foggy 5 year period in my life.

Wow, that must have been difficult very lucky you were able to figure it out👍.

10 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Has he a little tiny rattle on his tail to give a warning or is it just silently dangerous?

They are just silently dangerous they also have the fastest strike and longest fangs of any australian snake. They can easily bite through a thick leather boot unlike all of our other snakes which have relatively short fangs.

The 3 snakes I and most cautious of are the Death Adder, Taipan and the Brown snake, in that order. Although the Taipan and Brown are the two most poisonous snakes in the world the Death Adder has the bad habit of being an ambush predator and loves hiding in leaves and under rocks, where as the others are highly mobile and generally leave as soon as they hear you.

Your nugget looks nice after the acid bath!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, Jim in Idaho said:

Good idea. Up here they tend from brown to pink. I don't worry that much about them, except for my dog. Our aren't near as nasty as the ones down south, excepting the pygmy rattlers in n. Utah & S. Wyoming

Do you mean the Midget Faded rattlesnake or is there a pygmy one here too? I kept seeing rattlers here in Wyoming that I swore up and down were Mohave Greens, I finally got a few photos and took them to the Game and Fish, they said they are likely Midget Faded rattlers. I've never seen a place anywhere in the US that has more rattlesnakes than Wyoming, I have trips where I'll run across 15 or 20 a day. 

I've only seen 4 Diamondbacks in 10 years or more of prospecting Arizona, and maybe 1 Mohave Green but I wasn't absolutely sure. They are definitely found in Gold Basin though, just rare.

The Mohave Green Rattlesnakes are as lethal as some of the nasty Australian and Asian snakes. They are one of the most venomous snakes in the world, and in many places where you are more than 1 hr from town, your chances for survival can be in question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus

• Like 1

I grew up in North Florida and the Eastern Diamondbacks were plentiful and big.  I've seen them over 6 feet long.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I grew up in North Florida and the Eastern Diamondbacks were plentiful and big.  I've seen them over 6 feet long.

I'd love to see a rattle snake! What a cool critter they are. I'd also love to see coyotes in the desert and those big curly horned ram's you have in the mountains.

I'm always excited when I get to see a snake or any other animal when out detecting, I just love seeing them all. We are so lucky to share our gold field with so many awesome animals, even if they are dangerous sometimes.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

I'd also love to see coyotes

You can see coyotes all over Los Angeles communities.  They eat pets and occasionally they try to snatch a kid.  A much more majestic animal would be a wolf.  There are a fair number of them back down in the lower 48 now.

7 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

You can see coyotes all over Los Angeles communities.  They eat pets and occasionally they try to snatch a kid.  A much more majestic animal would be a wolf.  There are a fair number of them back down in the lower 48 now.

I've already seen wolves when I  was treasure hunting in Europe, I counted 7 of them they followed me for about 6 hrs one night while I was detecting. They are much larger than I thought they would be! And I had a pet full blood Dingo that I rescued as a tiny puppy. Dingo's get miss represented and treated much like your coyotes they are just trying to survive in a ever shrinking environment. I appreciate their intelligence and beauty and would really enjoy seeing them.

I can relate to the Dingo or Coyote as I get treated much the same... my detecting environment is shrinking every year😂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jasong said:

Do you mean the Midget Faded rattlesnake or is there a pygmy one here too? I kept seeing rattlers here in Wyoming that I swore up and down were Mohave Greens, I finally got a few photos and took them to the Game and Fish, they said they are likely Midget Faded rattlers. I've never seen a place anywhere in the US that has more rattlesnakes than Wyoming, I have trips where I'll run across 15 or 20 a day. 

I've only seen 4 Diamondbacks in 10 years or more of prospecting Arizona, and maybe 1 Mohave Green but I wasn't absolutely sure. They are definitely found in Gold Basin though, just rare.

The Mohave Green Rattlesnakes are as lethal as some of the nasty Australian and Asian snakes. They are one of the most venomous snakes in the world, and in many places where you are more than 1 hr from town, your chances for survival can be in question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_scutulatus

Yes...they're actually Midgets I guess, but people also call them Pygmy Faded Rattlesnakes. Same snake. As they mature, they lose their markings, thus "faded". Very bad venom, similar to Mojave Green. Both have a nerve component as well as the blood cell component. The good thing about the faded rattlers, they tend to rattle early, and don't get riled up easily. Mostly, they're found around Green River, and down into NW Utah. I've run into them in the Green River Basin, but never seen one above 6,200'. I had a cop tell me that 2 or 3 people, in Green River, are bitten by them every year.

Jim

• Like 1