First Minute First Target

Although they are not large, the "bad boy" of Western rattlesnakes is the Mojave Green, Crotalus Scutulatus. It looks very much like the Western Diamondback, Crotalus Atrox, the main difference being the number and size of scales on the forehead above and between the eyes. Where I detect, both species are common, and to tell the difference when I encounter one, I grab it from behind the head, lift it up and inspect the number of scales between the eyes. Don't want to step on a Green Mojave. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I read, a couple of years ago, that they're now finding Diamondbacks with a nerve toxin in their venom. The biologists said they assume there's some cross-breeding going on with Mojaves. They also said that they were really surprised how fast mutations in venom, and the rodents resistance to it, were taking place.

Jim

• Like 1

This is a Midget Faded Rattler, and was taken in 2016 in Central Wyoming. I swear these things are virtually identical to Mohave Greens, even the white markings under the eyes, they are so similar I literally cannot distinguish them while staring at them. Makes me wonder if the venom might be very similarly deadly too as they appear to be closely related.

731345959_midgetfadedrattler.jpg.7f704e09e7e93afebff097bbd58f2528.jpg

Unfortunately this was taken on a potato-level quality $50 Walmart phone I was using to make videos at the time.

Sorry Clarke didn't mean to make your gold thread so much about snakes. :smile:

• Like 1

Nasty! That was a young one. The older ones are almost a solid tan, or tannish green, with very hard to see markings.

Their venom is very similar to the Mojave Green's.

JIm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

This is a Midget Faded Rattler, and was taken in 2016 in Central Wyoming. I swear these things are virtually identical to Mohave Greens, even the white markings under the eyes, they are so similar I literally cannot distinguish them while staring at them. Makes me wonder if the venom might be very similarly deadly too as they appear to be closely related.

731345959_midgetfadedrattler.jpg.7f704e09e7e93afebff097bbd58f2528.jpg

Unfortunately this was taken on a potato-level quality $50 Walmart phone I was using to make videos at the time.

Sorry Clarke didn't mean to make your gold thread so much about snakes. :smile:

The conversation is informative and fascinating there’s a lot of good information for I guess a desert greenhorn like me I need to know, I had no idea the differences in toxicity and was regarding most of the rattlers like the ones back in Northern California. The one I saw seemed skinnier than the western diamond back and the venom glands were pronounced I don’t really remember the color except while the markings were defined in the evening shade of the bush the colors were subdued.

Ya know, Clark, they're probably all a little skinny this time of year, after getting through the winter with no feeding. But they're probably also crabby.....LOL. I sure would be.

PS...hope to finish the wheel kit today, or soon enough tomorrow to get it in the mail

Jim

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Ya know, Clark, they're probably all a little skinny this time of year, after getting through the winter with no feeding. But they're probably also crabby.....LOL. I sure would be.

PS...hope to finish the wheel kit today, or soon enough tomorrow to get it in the mail

Jim

Jim, very cool I’ve got a couple places to try it out on and am excited to get a chance to show off your work.

P5010001.thumb.JPG.e8d01cdb4eaae85f23e2b1c8b80e832b.JPG

Clark, if you tell anybody I made that, I'll have to kill you...LOL I wanted it light, so made it all of aluminum, besides the wheels and axle. I ain't that great a steel welder, and I'm worse with aluminum, so the welds look like something Heidi left behind...Ha! But, it should work OK. I drilled an extra axle hole about 1 1/4" above the other. The upper hole is to use in the event you decide you'd like larger diameter wheels. Larger diameter is easier to roll over rough terrain. An 8" wheel, in the upper axle hole, keeps all the geometry the same. I think you'll like it, once you get used to the ugly welds...LOL

Jim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

P5010001.thumb.JPG.e8d01cdb4eaae85f23e2b1c8b80e832b.JPG

Clark, if you tell anybody I made that, I'll have to kill you...LOL I wanted it light, so made it all of aluminum, besides the wheels and axle. I ain't that great a steel welder, and I'm worse with aluminum, so the welds look like something Heidi left behind...Ha! But, it should work OK. I drilled an extra axle hole about 1 1/4" above the other. The upper hole is to use in the event you decide you'd like larger diameter wheels. Larger diameter is easier to roll over rough terrain. An 8" wheel, in the upper axle hole, keeps all the geometry the same. I think you'll like it, once you get used to the ugly welds...LOL

Jim

• OK Jim, promise mums the word but those welds look clean to me very nice piece of metal art it is indeed. I think this is gonna be a whole new ball game for the sweeper😀, 40% more sweep from the ZSE7000 (Zero Sweep Effort) just the name not the price, lol, actual price may be higher.