First Minute First Target

2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

of the gold basin MPA claims

When you gents talk about gold basin I wonder how big it is...and therefore I suppose how thrashed it is.  10,000 acres?   150,000 acres?  All claimed?  Some public?   Some private freehold? 

A lot of these club claims - what is an average size?  

NE   

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

When you gents talk about gold basin I wonder how big it is...and therefore I suppose how thrashed it is.  10,000 acres?   150,000 acres?  All claimed?  Some public?   Some private freehold? 

A lot of these club claims - what is an average size?  

NE   

The Gold Basin mining district is around 30 square miles A mix of public and private land most of the public land I’d imagine claimed at one time or another, I’m not sure how much of that is off limits now due to being inside lake Meade recreation area. The minimum Claim size I believe is 20 acres, some club claims are multiples of that however I’m newbie out here in the southwest desert so hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area chimes in. There is also the gold basin meteorite strew field that’s around 150 square KM and about half of that falls off limits inside the lake Meade national recreation area. Most of the public land has been under claim at one time or another its now a patchwork of active and inactive mining claims.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Gold Basin mining district is around 30 square miles

Cool, thanks.  20,000 acres is a reasonable size bit of land but then I suppose it sees a decent number of people and has done for a long period of time.  

5 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

The minimum Claim size I believe is 20 acres

Probably OK to keep a couple of people busy for a few weekends a year.  I would guess most are there to enjoy a hobby rather than seriously 'mine' their bit of gold basin dirt considering there are mostly only crumbs left behind?  

Club claims certainly give you guys somewhere to go which is nice.  We are very lucky in Victoria, Australia that there is quite a bit of public lands (currently) available to prospect on.  Private land is sometimes hard to get access (depends how you approach the owner or who has done the wrong thing in the past) and there are quite a few Heritage areas, reserves and National/State Parks that are off limits.  I assume that will increase in the future.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 2:48 AM, mn90403 said:

So, which do you prefer?  Early gold or late gold?

Late gold.  It is akin to fishing.  If you get a fish first cast more often than not you might as well go home straight away - there won't be another bite for the whole day.  

But if you work hard all day and finally get things right and get a fish you feel rewarded for your effort and perseverance.  

If you get gold in the first 5 minutes and then nothing for the next 10 hours - think of all the other things you could have been doing.  For example, you could have gone fishing  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s easy early gold put that skunk out of his misery ASAP little stinkers always hiding in the bushes...waiting, watching, lol follows me everywhere🤨. The days of multiple nuggets have been few and far between, I’m still waiting for that virgin patch and my one ounce or plus nugget like to check that one off the list first thing next time out😃.

not all club claims are worked out, some nice gold to find on occasion but mostly crumbs the stuff you find regularly over there makes headlines here. Luckily keeping it interesting every once in a while (as in years) someone finds a lump gets us all excited again.

• Like 2

Anytime you find the multi-grammers where you are hunting it makes news!

There are still some ouncers out there on the BLM lands of Gold Basin.  I'm not good at finding them.  You will one of these days if you can keep from falling in the Joshua Trees!  You've already brought fresh eyes to worn out patches and done better than I have in the last couple of years.

I wish I could get over there and explore with you on a couple of trips but that is not possible right now.

• Like 2

Mitchel,

Following Lunk’s and Jasong’s setting as my base with adjustments as necessary running on the edge of quiet has made the biggest difference the 7000 is an amazing detector and I have confidence if it’s in the ground I‘ll hear it. Most places I’m focusing on I’m digging trash that shouldn’t still be there so if there’s signs of activity I just assume some gold must have been missed? Most all the gold I’ve hit has been tiny or fluffy spongy stuff other detectors have a little more trouble with The pieces are few and far between but the GPZ will find it if I put the coil on it.

When you have time we’ll get out for a hunt we can try an get into some harder to reach spots put the Jeep and my sat phone to a test.

• Like 1

Do shots make you nauseous and pass out? They do for me if I look at them. Cholla spikes used to do the same if they got in real deep, about 5 minutes after I'd pull them out. Doctor told me it's a vagus nerve response and is subconscious for some people when they see a puncture or wound in their own body.

Oddly, same thing happened when I watched my vet pull porcupine quills out of my dogs snout, even though it didn't affect me when I tried to pull them out myself earlier. Had it happen when I broke my collar bone, then when I broke my hand, then when I broke my foot, I can't help it and it's really frustrating because its times like those I need to be conscious and helping myself, not passing out.

You might have looked at your hand as you drove after adrenaline (hence no pain at first) or low grade shock wore off and then had a vagus nerve response? No idea, just sounds like what happens to me when I look at a wound, I'm like a fainting goat. :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Do shots make you nauseous and pass out? They do for me if I look at them. Cholla spikes used to do the same if they got in real deep, about 5 minutes after I'd pull them out. Doctor told me it's a vagus nerve response and is subconscious for some people when they see a puncture or wound in their own body.

Oddly, same thing happened when I watched my vet pull porcupine quills out of my dogs snout, even though it didn't affect me when I tried to pull them out myself earlier. Had it happen when I broke my collar bone, then when I broke my hand, then when I broke my foot, I can't help it and it's really frustrating because its times like those I need to be conscious and helping myself, not passing out.

You might have looked at your hand as you drove after adrenaline (hence no pain at first) or low grade shock wore off and then had a vagus nerve response? No idea, just sounds like what happens to me when I look at a wound, I'm like a fainting goat. :smile:

Other than my hand hurting all day and the next and fear of some infection it didn’t really bother me, pulling it out took a deep breath but didn’t hurt Much, 30 years ago Kind of the same injury using a framing nailer hit a knot the nailer bounced and shot a second nail through one of my fingers nailing me to a ceiling joist nail went right through the fat part of the finger Just missing the bone, surprisingly didn’t hurt at all and wasn’t really sore the next day. I’m not bothered by shots and I’ve seen and had hands on the worst of the worst accidents you can imagine, things you can’t imagine or forget so I really don’t think it was anything like that. Was fairly early in the day when I took the spike, even though it hurt I didn’t do anything different used that hand to swing the detector and pick digging holes. Hard to imagine dehydration would wait until I’d been in the air conditioned Jeep and drinking water for 1/2 an hour to come on, to me it felt like a bad reaction to the jerky.

No more Alien Jerky for you!  haha

• Like 1