1515Art

First Minute First Target

I forgot to mention had my first rattle snake encounter out in the desert anywhere and I’ve become careless from never seeing one. I bought snake gators years ago but they always wind up staying tucked away in the Jeep as unnecessary extra weight hanging on my legs and in the future I’ll be using them. It was evening probably 630’ish, I’d picked up a signal and after retrieving a goose egg shaped piece of quartz half rapped in magnetite I had the rock in hand looking it over and I kept hearing this rain bird sprinkler sound in the distance, pulling off my earbuds the sound was more clear and the light in my head clicked on when I spotted a rather pissed off looking large snake not more than 3 feet away coiled up warning me this was his spot. This old guy can move pretty quick and in less than a heartbeat we had another 6 feet between us but that was way to close and just lucky for me he gave a good warning. So, they are out... be careful everyone!

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 1

Outstanding finds and great pictures,not good news when you have a close encounter with a snake though.

Well done

• Like 1

Yup...even up here it's getting close. I won't be taking Heidi out to the desert now. I would imagine they've been out down there for several weeks. Nice job on then gold, by the way...LOL, and it's good you were paying at least some attention, Clark

Jim

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

I spotted a rather pissed off looking large snake not more than 3 feet away coiled up warning me this was his spot. This old guy can move pretty quick and in less than a heartbeat we had another 6 feet between us but that was way to close and just lucky for me he gave a good warning.

Now that's enforcement of social distancing!  And the planet thanks you for not killing the messenger.

Back on topic -- 4 g sounds like a pretty juicy nugget to me.  Thanks for showing us they're still out there.

• Like 3

You know what they say ... pictures or it didn't happen! (Three feet is a closeup.)

I'm glad you avoided the old snake.  About how big do you think it was?

It is 'funny' how the instincts are alerted by a snake.  They really give me a jolt or anything that moves like them.  

So, which do you prefer?  Early gold or late gold?

Mitchel

• Like 1

Art

Good job.  I was out yesterday too and got a small Gold Bug 2 piece and saw a bull snake.  Here in Eastern Oregon the bull snakes precede the rattlesnakes by a few days, so anyone coming our way should now begin to look out for the rattlers and of course, the ticks.  Lots of ticks already.   A few years back I got Lyme's disease from one of our ticks.

Gary

• Like 1

Here is a possibly life-saving hint for US nugget shooters: when in the field ALWAYS use "blue-blocker" eyeglasses. Most of the buzztails in US nugget country are some shade of green. By blocking ("subtracting") the blue, the snakes are now a fluorescent yellow, and thus far more visible. HH Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Yup...even up here it's getting close. I won't be taking Heidi out to the desert now. I would imagine they've been out down there for several weeks. Nice job on then gold, by the way...LOL, and it's good you were paying at least some attention, Clark

Jim

I’m not really sure why I didn’t get bit, just stupid luck I could hear him buzzing for a while and he was right at my feet, think I might have been really close at one point with my hand reaching for my rock, that I later set down and forgot because I was still a little jumpy from being so close and not realizing it. Luckily I’d used the coil to drag my found prize I’d soon forget to drag the target within my reach.

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

You know what they say ... pictures or it didn't happen! (Three feet is a closeup.)

I'm glad you avoided the old snake.  About how big do you think it was?

It is 'funny' how the instincts are alerted by a snake.  They really give me a jolt or anything that moves like them.  

So, which do you prefer?  Early gold or late gold?

Mitchel

I don’t usually carry my phone, I did have the gps that has a geo camera just so I don’t loose where I’ve parked the Jeep, but the picture quality is kinda poor and well, I was to freaked out to take pictures although I did think about it. He was pretty good sized several coils scattered about a couple foot area and his head was up another 6 to 8 inches s-curved ready to strike, so he had to have been a good 4 feet.

ill take morning gold any day, something to rattle in my cup while I’m walking around digging hot rocks and trash😃.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Now that's enforcement of social distancing!  And the planet thanks you for not killing the messenger.

Back on topic -- 4 g sounds like a pretty juicy nugget to me.  Thanks for showing us they're still out there.

I was never inclined to kill anything out there, but am especially sensitive now in honor of Fred’s memory that was something he was passionate about.

• Like 4