First Minute First Target

1 hour ago, brogansown said:

Art

Good job.  I was out yesterday too and got a small Gold Bug 2 piece and saw a bull snake.  Here in Eastern Oregon the bull snakes precede the rattlesnakes by a few days, so anyone coming our way should now begin to look out for the rattlers and of course, the ticks.  Lots of ticks already.   A few years back I got Lyme's disease from one of our ticks.

Gary

Lyme disease something to get you out there in all sizes, that sucks you had that infection I have lucky and avoided the ticks, now no more snakes.

56 minutes ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Here is a possibly life-saving hint for US nugget shooters: when in the field ALWAYS use "blue-blocker" eyeglasses. Most of the buzztails in US nugget country are some shade of green. By blocking ("subtracting") the blue, the snakes are now a fluorescent yellow, and thus far more visible. HH Jim

good tip thank you, that would help a lot.

2 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Here is a possibly life-saving hint for US nugget shooters: when in the field ALWAYS use "blue-blocker" eyeglasses. Most of the buzztails in US nugget country are some shade of green. By blocking ("subtracting") the blue, the snakes are now a fluorescent yellow, and thus far more visible. HH Jim

Good idea. Up here they tend from brown to pink. I don't worry that much about them, except for my dog. Our aren't near as nasty as the ones down south, excepting the pygmy rattlers in n. Utah & S. Wyoming

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brogansown said:

A few years back I got Lyme's disease from one of our ticks.

I got Lyme disease in Texas in the early 80s and didn't know what it was for a few years.  I had the classic bullseye on my calf but it was not so well known at the time.

• Sad 1

The gold looks great!!, Two years ago in Kentucky I tripped up on a 54'' Timber rattler crossing a trail. My wife was not happy with me picking it up and moving off the trail. Brings back a bunch of memories of me and my old man catching rattlers, never harmed any and always was amazed at how beautiful of a creature they are. Maybe she was protecting a big old nugget, hope you scanned the area well Ha Ha. Glad to see your out and about creating some good memories.

• Like 1

Nice gold 1515Art

You guys are lucky your rattlers aren't as dangerous as this angry fellow... 20180806_115742.thumb.jpg.935cbfc424a6e7f7b8fd09ed9a94081f.jpg20180806_115757.thumb.jpg.91b634683c7a78caf406fc28bb62f0ee.jpg

That is a Common Death Adder, Australia's version of the rattle snake. But much more poisonous.

If you are unlucky enough to get bitten you have about an hour until paralysis sets in then convulsions followed by death from breathing failure. I found this one when I  flipped a larger flat rock as it had a target under it which turned out to be a 7g nugget!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

Nice finds Art. Its makes your day when you ping one straight up.

Snakes are thick as where i live in oz. I like night detecting in the desert in Western Australia, thats when you realise how many snakes are really there.

24F0A7AE-9EFC-42B9-9958-6825C9D1D2E1.jpeg

3C0A2B54-A454-498E-89A0-D07760AE0AE3.jpeg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I got Lyme disease in Texas in the early 80s and didn't know what it was for a few years.  I had the classic bullseye on my calf but it was not so well known at the time.

That pretty much must have sucked I’d guess, how did you eventually get over it?

17 hours ago, dogodog said:

The gold looks great!!, Two years ago in Kentucky I tripped up on a 54'' Timber rattler crossing a trail. My wife was not happy with me picking it up and moving off the trail. Brings back a bunch of memories of me and my old man catching rattlers, never harmed any and always was amazed at how beautiful of a creature they are. Maybe she was protecting a big old nugget, hope you scanned the area well Ha Ha. Glad to see your out and about creating some good memories.

I’ve never picked one up, you are braver than me I used to see them all the time when I mountain biked, occasionally we’d run over them when they were sunning in the middle of the trail with our bikes it pissed them off but didn’t seen to do them any harm.

5 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Nice gold 1515Art

You guys are lucky your rattlers aren't as dangerous as this angry fellow... 20180806_115742.thumb.jpg.935cbfc424a6e7f7b8fd09ed9a94081f.jpg20180806_115757.thumb.jpg.91b634683c7a78caf406fc28bb62f0ee.jpg

That is a Common Death Adder, Australia's version of the rattle snake. But much more poisonous.

If you are unlucky enough to get bitten you have about an hour until paralysis sets in then convulsions followed by death from breathing failure. I found this one when I  flipped a larger flat rock as it had a target under it which turned out to be a 7g nugget!

Has he a little tiny rattle on his tail to give a warning or is it just silently dangerous? Thankfully we don’t have those, you fellas have some nasty critters.

3 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

Nice finds Art. Its makes your day when you ping one straight up.

Snakes are thick as where i live in oz. I like night detecting in the desert in Western Australia, thats when you realise how many snakes are really there.

24F0A7AE-9EFC-42B9-9958-6825C9D1D2E1.jpeg

3C0A2B54-A454-498E-89A0-D07760AE0AE3.jpeg

Night time and death adders, sound like a party good thing you got giant gold nuggets I guess you get used to dealing with them and the gators are a must have you ever had one strike detecting out there at night? Would you even know?