Any Tips On Eq800 Settings For Meteorites?

I use the Equinox mostly for Beach and Land @ coins and Relics, but have decided to possibly hunt some Meteorite areas.  My wife's family have been notable in the field of minerals with a large collection being displayed at the Maine Mineral Museum in Bethel. 

https://mainemineralmuseum.org/

The Museum has a large room of meteorites from around the world.  As this has been of interest, I was wondering as to how well the Equinox 800 would be as a detector and what type settings I would use?

Prop

Any good VLF nugget detector will find meteorites, but for the EQX 800 I would recommend using Gold 1 or Gold 2 with the all-metal horseshoe button activated to enable all of the iron range targets to be heard.

• Like 1

I've tried a bit of meteorite hunting with the 800 but I find the hot rocks in the iron range too often in the deserts where I go.  The ground balance wants to cancel the major noises a meteorite would make and make them sound like a hotrock.  With a lot of practice I think I could make it work but my 7000 and 5000 are much better meteorite hunters than my 800.

If you could hunt some fields that don't have magnetic rocks you could easily find a meteorite.

You should do some research by going to the Meteorological Bulletin and downloading the location of meteorites near you.  It will give you a file that you can see on Google Earth where a named meteorite was found.  It is rare that an entire meteorite is found so there may be additional pieces waiting for you at that location.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/

Mitchel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1