GMX And Emi

I noticed today emi was not affecting the GMX w/ 6" concentric coil at all. The Gold Kruzer and XP Orx were going crazy. I had to turn the sensitivity way down on the Gold Kruzer. Different frequency helped the Orx. The GMX sensitivity was max at 10 with no noise. Wish it weighed 2 lbs but it is the way it is. Becoming my favorite water hunter. Taking it in the water tomorrow. 6x10 coil is on the way.

• Like 5

Well I guess you happened to be hunting in a spot that was 48 khz friendly.  Not sure what coil you were using on the ORX but if it was an HF coil you should have been able to find a suitable quiet frequency.  I believe the GK operates around 61 khz which could be a problem around 60 hz power lines.  If you initialize the ORX with the Coil in the air at waist height, that can tend to knock down EMI, too.  Yeah, after having owned the MX Sport, that is just not place I am willing to go back to (i.e., the VLF detector weighing just south of 4 lbs.)

• Like 1

Well, I turned on my ORX 9" HF coil, in my house on my kitchen table, Coin Fast, 50 kHz, 99 sensitivity otherwise default settings. Of course the ORX would still detect a target but the background noise was deafening. Turned that racket off. I turned on my Goldmaster 24K, 6.5" coil, Boost 2 audio (max), iron cancel off so no discrimination, threshold on 1, VSAT on 1, sensitivity on 10 (max), XGB on auto, did a frequency shift to the highest setting, the actual silence was deafening in a good way except for the slight threshold hum. So, there must be something else going on besides a difference in frequency between 48+ kHz and 50 kHz...........

Jeff

• Like 2

phrunt, in your milder dirt, the Goldmaster 24K or the GMX would be incredible. They seem to be impervious to EMI. They are definitely not impervious to ground mineralization and hot rocks even though the GM 24k does well even when I have to run it at sensitivity 3 out of 10 to keep it stable on really bad ground.

Jeff

• Like 1

Maybe the extra weight acts as some sort of Faraday Shield. :smile:. Seriously, good to know Whites is doing something right in the EMI department.  Perhaps ML could learn a thing or two from Whites rather than the other way around.  My Equinox sure likes to go unstable at the strangest times.

If the weight is an issue and you don’t need waterproof go 24K. At 3.3 lbs perfectly balanced I’d rather swing it than the lighter but nose heavy Deus.

White’s is missing a bet not even mentioning jewelry detecting in their promo material, especially for freshwater detecting.

whites-gmx-sport-color-flyer-med2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

phrunt, in your milder dirt, the Goldmaster 24K or the GMX would be incredible. They seem to be impervious to EMI. They are definitely not impervious to ground mineralization and hot rocks even though the GM 24k does well even when I have to run it at sensitivity 3 out of 10 to keep it stable on really bad ground.

Jeff

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

For me the waterproof is something I'd want, I use my GM1000 in a certain creek that I've found more gold than anywhere to this date even though I've been there far less than other places.  It's inhospitable, a nasty place 🙂

My GM has taken a dunking in there but survived it as it came out quick fortunately.  I've tried to use the Nox there but I've had no luck, it really reacts to the hot rock in the area more so than the GM with the hot rocks even coming up as high as 1-2 on the ID's..... the entire area of bedrock can't be gold but it's really confusing when using the Nox there 🙂  It's a wild creek on a mountain side so it's quite steep gradually making its way uphill and a place I tend to slip over a fair bit, it's shaded all the time by the forest around it and mossy and slippery with trees fallen down all over the place blocking the creek so you have to climb up steep sides of it to get around them.  It never gets sunlight.   I'm not game to take a PI up there unless I had a waterproof one.

The entire creek has a bedrock base covered in a layer of gravel and the Nox just hates it, never found any gold in the creek with the Nox but the GM does well.  I was hoping the GMX may open up some opportunities under the waterfalls all along the creek where I just can't take a detector that's not waterproof.  The weird hot rock bedrock is often green in colour.  At this stage I doubt I'll get one before Christmas as shipping around the world just isn't happening and I'm not game to try after a I had another very expensive package disappear in the post a few weeks ago.... it's now a month late for express package that should have arrived in about 7-10 days.  Stuck due to international shipping grinding to a halt, hopefully I get it eventually but I'm not game to order international at the moment 😞

I guess now I've explained my interest in this Whites detector when I don't really need it.

A few things about it interest me, it's waterproof, it claims to have a better ground balance method than existing detectors which I hope means it will handle this weird hot rock bedrock situation and it has a concentric coil option which will suit my mild soils in other locations, possibly not this creek so I'd need more than one coil.  I tend to get every coil I can for detectors I own anyway.

Long time  lurker.       Hello all.Rick can you compare  the   Gmx,   Nox, and Gold  Kruzer for  small gold for water hunting.  Thinking      of getting a  Gmx.Hunt the Finger lakes  area  of N.Y.Anybody also about what they like for           turf and tot lots for  small gold  .Great forum Steve.Your detecting knowledge is  A +. You taught me the  Garrett Infinium  method of digging coins  on the beach by the low-high tones.Also found many gold rings with it     in the black sand   parts of lake  Ontario.60 is my  record for gold for  a year.

I don't have the Nox anymore. Wish I still had it. It's very sensitive to small gold but not as sensitive as the gold detectors. Between the Gold Kruzer and Gmx, the Gmx is more sensitive on a 10k white gold earring. Don't know why when one is 61khz and the other 48khz but that the way it is for me. As a target gets deep the Gmx has a very soft signal which is ok because there is no noise or crackle. An air test on a 0.89 gram ring at 9.5", the Gmx w/ 6" concentric hits. The Gold Kruzer air test about a 1/2" less. I hope the 6x10 dd works well on the Gmx. Hunting on a beach with the Gmx/Gold Kruzer will drive you crazy after awhile digging the tiniest targets. I haven't had to much tiny stuff in the water like on the beach. Micro gold hunting you need to be where there are a lot of people to make it worth while. My beaches are not worth hunting for micro jewelry. I hope to find some in the water though.

I guess I'm the odd one using a gold detector hunting in the water but I'm a gold hunter lol.

It would be good to have 2 waterproof detectors like the Nox and a Gold detector to get the rest. I don't know how a Nox w/ 11" coil and Gmx w/ 6x10 coil would compare on a gold ring in the water. I would guess the Nox would go a couple inches deeper. If they had the same size coils probably about the same depth.

I also noticed on the Gmx I can turn the disc up and still get a hit on the white gold earring about an 1/8" or less from it. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've tried to use the Nox there but I've had no luck, it really reacts to the hot rock in the area more so than the GM with the hot rocks even coming up as high as 1-2 on the ID's....

Here I go brainstorming again in an area I lack expertise.  So I'm ready to be told "huh?  How could that possibly work??"  But it's worth the lesson one way or the other.

I've noticed that when doing an air test, it doesn't matter where the ground balance is set.  There is no ground to deal with and the detector is just fine with that no matter where I set the ground balance.  I seem to recall you saying that with the T2, it doesn't seem to matter where you set the ground balance point in your area since the ground is so mild.  So here's my wild idea:  can you set the ground balance point on the Eqx to ignore/minimize the the problematic hot rocks?

• Like 2

With his Equinox 800, phrunt could reject some of the hot/cold rock numerical target ID numbers if they aren't in the middle of the small gold range. Unfortunately, in this case they seem to be since the hot rocks he mentioned are hitting around 0, 1 and 2. Maybe some kind of frequency shift or ground balance offset would help which is way beyond my pay grade. I was wondering if phrunt could try a different search mode in the water like Park1 or Park 2 instead of the gold modes with the 6" coil. They might be a little less sensitive to moving water than the gold modes????????? 

Like Rick N. MI I have used my GM 24K coil submerged in shallow creek water with absolutely no change in the detecting quality. It goes through water with zero effect as if it was still in air.

I do get some major coil knock if I don't get the settings right for one location (the one with the really bad black sand/pebbles). I am still working on settings for that place. I brought home a bag of dirt from one really bad spot. The GM 24K will overload at sensitivity 3, VSAT Max, whether I have it in iron cancel mode or not!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1