Krugerrand Target ID Number

11 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

I’ve run my whites SST over 1 ounce gold eagles should be about the same as Kruger I would think? Because of the mass and alloy it had high ID numbers in the low 90’s on the whites in an air test. Depending on the area you need to cover you could first mark and dig all the big target signals starting with fence lines and around any thing that stands out for you as as a monument, then if you don’t find it dig everything you get a hit on. I don’t know what part of the country you live in if there’s a time crunch put out the word I would imagine you could get a lot of help be a fun hunt to be a part of helping someone retrieve a lost family treasure.

Don't know if you missed it or not from his subsequent post, but he searching the crawl space under a house for a mason jar full of Krugers, so it is a completely different problem than what you may have first imagined, see below.

Trying to help a mate locate 10 Krugers that his (now deceased) father buried under the family home in a glass jar with metal/ferrous lid many years ago. His father did not trust banks and had lived thru the Great Depression. The home has now been sold with the new owners arriving on Fri so time is of the essence for my mate. I hope this helps as background to my request.

• Like 2

You might want to dig all the big signals, and maybe think twice about the location, most depression era people hide stuff in plain sight. I had an Uncle who hid coins in a ice cube tray in the freezer. Try to find out where the person spent the most time, like a basement or flower bed. people always want  to make sure that the treasure is safe and be near it. Use the clue that people give you. Without exact knowledge of the location it just might be a family myth. I have found out first hand, how family members think that uncle or aunt so and so buried gold in the yard, most times its wishful thinking. I don't mean to demean your enthusiasm for this but sometimes things that sound to good to be true are just that. Wish you well !!!

If you or anyone knows the numbers on the 600 and 800 they are almost the same. The farthest off on a lot of my air tests was one digit on two items. 

Apologies to all followers & contributors to this topic for this late feedback from my Kruger treasure hunt.
My wife had a medical emergency (very high blood pressure) which we thought might have been related to the Covid19 virus pandemic. After many medical tests including a CV19 test (both of us were negative) she is now on the road to recovery via various medications.

Yes the Krugers were not found despite my best efforts in the very short time-frame that was available. I now suspect that the Krugers may have been found by another family member (not using detecting equipment) who has not disclosed this to the other family members or it was after all just a family myth.

However I was rewarded by finding 2 antique kerosene lamps hidden in an old cardboard box behind a brick floor footing with only 1ft clearance. The owner gifted these to me for my Kruger efforts so I am happy.

Many thanks to all who gave me advice - very much appreciated.

If you ever find yourself down-under in Australia please PM me and I would be happy to buy you a beer or two 🙂

Stay safe & happy treasure hunting.
Jed (Canberra, Australia)

Brass lamp.jpg

Glass lamp.jpg

• Like 2