I've Had My Last Rokon Misadventure

Hard lesson Steve but I’m glad you did not break something or worse to learn it. No matter how we try to ignore age it does sneak up, requiring a downshift in expectations about what can be expected of our once young bodies. I’ve come to accept my hardcore prospecting days are behind me but that’s just fine, I got my best shots in. A two seater for you and more time with your girlfriend seems a better option than broken bones! :smile:

• Like 5

Glad you did not get injured,this may seem like a stupid question and folks will probably laugh at me but what the hell is a 'Rokon' and what the hell is a 'Gila Monster' because i ain't got a clue 🙂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hard lesson Steve but I’m glad you did not break something or worse to learn it. No matter how we try to ignore age it does sneak up, requiring a downshift in expectations about what can be expected of our once young bodies. I’ve come to accept my hardcore prospecting days are behind me but that’s just fine. A two seater for you and more time with your girlfriend seems a better option than broken bones! :smile:

He's like me Steve-- he is finally realizing that having "Adult Supervision" can be a plus now days.....🇨🇭

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

“The Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum, /ˈhiːlə/ HEE-lə) is a species of venomous lizard native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexican state of Sonora. A heavy, typically slow-moving lizard, up to 60 cm (2.0 ft) long, the Gila monster is the only venomous lizard native to the United States and one of only two known species of venomous lizards in North America, the other being its close relative, the Mexican beaded lizard (H. horridum). Although the Gila monster is venomous, its sluggish nature means it represents little threat to humans. However, it has acquired a fearsome reputation, and is sometimes killed despite being protected by state law in Arizona.”

gila-monster.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow, bad as it was you were lucky to get out of that, little story on my first trip up detecting in north of the rye patch by 40 miles roughly and wandering around looking for the claim I couldn’t find one of the local ranchers stopped to see if I needed any help. We chatted for a while, he knew the area I was headed for and told me to follow him he led me there. We talked a bit more anyway next year back out there I asked another prospector about him and was shocked to learn he’d passed from an ATV accident (4 wheel) obviously the Rokon’s lots lighter but he rolled it on a hillside and got pinned under for a couple nights till they found him, he survived the accident but died a week later after discharge from the hospital with complications from blood clots being pinned under it for so long. Point being I guess we take chances, but it’s lonely out there, good you switched to the RZR good equipment is our friend... hmmm, I’m 67 and that Rokon  sounds kind of fun wish I could fit it in the Jeep.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Wow, bad as it was you were lucky to get out of that, little story on my first trip up detecting in north of the rye patch by 40 miles roughly and wandering around looking for the claim I couldn’t find one of the local ranchers stopped to see if I needed any help. We chatted for a while, he knew the area I was headed for and told me to follow him he led me there. We talked a bit more anyway next year back out there I asked another prospector about him and was shocked to learn he’d passed from an ATV accident (4 wheel) obviously the Rokon’s lots lighter but he rolled it on a hillside and got pinned under for a couple nights till they found him, he survived the accident but died a week later after discharge from the hospital with complications from blood clots being pinned under it for so long. Point being I guess we take chances, but it’s lonely out there, good you switched to the RZR good equipment is our friend... hmmm, I’m 67 and that Rokon  sounds kind of fun wish I could fit it in the Jeep.

I haul it on the back of my F150 on a Motorcycle carrier that plugs into the hitch receiver.  Leaves room in the truck bed without hauling a trailer.  

37 minutes ago, Condor said:

I haul it on the back of my F150 on a Motorcycle carrier that plugs into the hitch receiver.  Leaves room in the truck bed without hauling a trailer.  

I spent almost an hour on their website imagining the possibilities, I’d have to give up my extra fuel tank and rear approach angle plus the extra weight back there makes an already poor handling rig miserable on the freeway, or I think I try one. I started with little yamaha’s and Kawasaki’s when I was 11 years old rode every day in the orchards and hills where we lived and when they built the local college drove the campus cops nuts for building in what had been my playground for years, it was a game for me and they never caught me! However, I’m 67 now and last time I crashed the mountain bike in the Santa Cruz Mountains woke up on the trail with a crowd around me separated shoulder and chipped pelvis not sure if I’d been going up hill or down. When part of my senses returned under crowd protest I mounted my bike and headed downhill into town where they bought me a cup of coffee and insisted on calling my wife to pick me up. That hurt and I’ve cooled it a little since then too, we do heal slower now.

2 hours ago, RickUK said:

Glad you did not get injured,this may seem like a stupid question and folks will probably laugh at me but what the hell is a 'Rokon' and what the hell is a 'Gila Monster' because i ain't got a clue 🙂

Rick if i remenber well you were once Rokoned right😀😀😀😀😀 i get myself Rokoned once in a while as i ride to work all the time......now in the UK you won't find this kind of bike as it is too......well it is not eco friendly,and you will need an MOT,a ROAD TAX and insurance and only be able to ride on private road .........otherwise i will have 2 already!!!

RR

• Haha 1