I've Had My Last Rokon Misadventure

I had a Rokon for several years back 30 years ago. Great rig, but hard on your back, though I see the new ones have some suspension. The old ones didn't. Mine had the Chrysler 10hp two-stroke industrial engine. Only weighed 185 lbs. I sold it because the laws got so you couldn't take motorized vehicles anywhere there weren't already two tracks, so the advantage of the two-wheel drive was sort of wasted. plus the ATV hauls more gear, and more safely. My back was happy I sold it, too...LOL

Jim

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Condor said:

I was sitting out the "Rona" virus and hunkered down near Quartzsite in my toy hauler trailer earlier in the month.  I wasn't really hitting the detecting very hard, mostly exploring an area unfamiliar to me.  I found a couple small bits, ran into a "tiger" rattlesnake (very unique coloration) and a Gila Monster during my travels.  I've hunted the desert southwest most of my life and only seen 3 Gila Monsters, ever.  Nasty acting creature, hissing and making half hearted charges.  Black mouth and flicking tongue are pretty convincing to keep your social distance.  Then disaster with the Rokon and a reminder of the laws of gravity and old age.  The culprit, a steep rutted road with a big rock on a banked turn.  I considered changing to a lower gear for engine braking, but nah, I can do this in high gear.  About halfway down I was reminded of that physics thing, something about "objects in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an opposing motion".  The steep downhill put me in motion, unable to make the banked turn, the rock, it turns out is an opposing motion.  I landed hard on my left side, my left leg under the 250 lb Rokon with a perfect sized rut to bang center of my thigh.  Man that hurt, I'm going on 3 weeks now still hobbling around on a sore leg.  As most of you know from my other Misadventures, this isn't my first crash so the die was cast.  

My girlfriend had been interested in getting a RZR so she could accompany me on my explorations and we had looked a couple used ones.  When she saw my injuries this time, that clinched it.  Even my 27 yr old son was making that clucking sound and head shaking.  'You're going to really get hurt one of these days, Dad'!  So,  we got serious and searched Craiglist in both AZ and S.CA.  We found a nice, lightly used RZR 900 2 seater, with all the stuff, doors, roof rack, bead lock wheels and tires etc.  More than I wanted to spend, but considering I might get a few more good years out of this 65 yr old body, probably well worth it.  

So, if any of you young bucks are interested in my Rokon, it's for sale.  I'll post it over on the For Sale section for a full description.

I fall once in a while and i realised it takes longer to heal as i get older....

Feel better soon!!

RR

Steve ,it is tough to have 65 year old body and treat it like it is 35 .I know i still do the same thing out on the ranch going to catch up with me one day. Take care out there with that new toy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

“The Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum, /ˈhiːlə/ HEE-lə) is a species of venomous lizard native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexican state of Sonora. A heavy, typically slow-moving lizard, up to 60 cm (2.0 ft) long, the Gila monster is the only venomous lizard native to the United States and one of only two known species of venomous lizards in North America, the other being its close relative, the Mexican beaded lizard (H. horridum). Although the Gila monster is venomous, its sluggish nature means it represents little threat to humans. However, it has acquired a fearsome reputation, and is sometimes killed despite being protected by state law in Arizona.”

826701B6-7536-44F4-BAF5-D31D52E5DE1D.jpeg

Looks like something that should be "Rokoned"

Never came across a Rokon in Oz, in the late 90's, I considered getting a Postie Bike ( Honda CT110 ) which was popular in the WA bush, but since my detecting friends did not have one, I gave it a miss.

These bikes were sold quiet cheaply by the post office after x years of use, probably the reason why they were so popular. In the last few years have not seen one  in the bush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CT110

11 hours ago, PeterInSa said:

Never came across a Rokon in Oz, in the late 90's, I considered getting a Postie Bike ( Honda CT110 ) which was popular in the WA bush, but since my detecting friends did not have one, I gave it a miss.

These bikes were sold quiet cheaply by the post office after x years of use, probably the reason why they were so popular. In the last few years have not seen one  in the bush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CT110

CT110 are amazing i had a CUB 90 or C90 they go for miles........they done drink and are easy to fix,everyone should get one for shopping like in Vietnam....

RR

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rivers rat said:

CT110 are amazing i had a CUB 90 or C90 they go for miles........they done drink and are easy to fix,everyone should get one for shopping like in Vietnam....

RR

I had 2 Honda ST70 monkey bikes brand new back in 1972/3 tremendous fun and ultra reliable,wish i had never sold them as they are very desirable these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickUK said:

I had 2 Honda ST70 monkey bikes brand new back in 1972/3 tremendous fun and ultra reliable,wish i had never sold them as they are very desirable these days.

Rick can we keep everything........................i had a Yamaha chappy LB50 super economical build like like a 500 but underpowered by a small 50cc......i always say i will buy another one....top speed was 35mph.I also had a Yamaha RXS 100 which was really cool to drive and it is also very desirable now.

RR

• Like 1

Hi Condor

What a bugger stacking the bike, I know what that feels like...

The one I remember most is when a stick flicked up off the front wheel and stabbed into my shin bone about 2in, it was a timber called cooktown iron wood which is one of our hardest timbers and is also toxic. Had to brace my leg and use both arms to pull it out of my shin, then it bled really slowly dark nearly black blood for 3 weeks... ouch.

I've never seen a Rocon they look awesome! What do they sell for over there? We don't get them here. What a weapon it would be in our country!

• Like 1