Vanquish And Equinox Tids Are Almost But Not Identical

I have owned my 800 since March 2018 and Vanquish 2 weeks. I had heard the TID’s were the same so I got out my extensive collection of junk and some CW bullets and silver coins to do some comparative air tests.

I was in the relic mode on the Vanquish 540 and the Field 2 mode on the Nox 800.

Nickels came in at 13 on both.
Beaver tail only came in at 9-12 on 540 and 9-11 on 800.
Small flat button came in at 11-11 on both.
Small square tab horizontal came in 13 on both.
Small square tab vertical came in at 14 on both.
Horizontal means hitting it from the broad side.
Vertical means hitting it from the narrow end.
Pull tab that is complete but with the beaver tail folded back over the ring came in at 16 on both.
Large square tab off a big monster drink can came in at 17 on both.
Zinc penny came in at 21 on both.
Flattened aluminum screw cap came in at 22 on both.
Wheat penny was 25 on both.
1980’s copper penny was 25 on both.
Clad dime 25 on both
Rosie dime 27 on both
Standing Liberty Quarter 30-31 on 540 and 29-31 on 800.
Silver qtr 1964 32 on 540 and 31-32 on 800. People have indicated that the Vanquish locks on to single digits better than the 800 with some targets. I believe that is because the Vanquish is not seeing as much small metal under the coil as the Equnox. But these are air tests so I don’t know what causes the difference in this case and a few other cases.
Silver half dollar was 35 on the 540 and 34 on the 800.
Morgan was 38 on the 540 and 37 on the 800.

This is where I came in with a problem setting my Civil War relic hunting Discrim pattern on the 800:

Pull tab that is complete but with the beaver tail folded back over the ring came in at 16 on both.
Pull tab ring only came in at 13-16 on both.

.59 cal 3 ringer was 18 on the 540 and 16-17 on the 800.
.69 cal 3 ringer was 19 on the 540 and 16-17 on the 800.

The .58 and .69 3 ringers caused me grief in setting up Discrim because to get rid of the nasty pull tab with  folded over and  pull tab ring only I would have to Discrim out 16 but that would take out the 3 ringers. Ran extensive test on the above problem and could not get a good Discrim pattern to solve that problem.
But on the Vanquish 54 it worked like a champ because the 3 ringers came in at 18 and 19 so there was not  pull tab ring only conflict. Funny I thought it would be just the opposite problem with the 540 have 2 tid’s per Discrim block. But the fact is in terms of a useful Discrim pattern for my Civil War relic hunting, the 540 has an edge over the 800.

Forget about model to model variations in TDI, I get mode based TID variations on the same targets in my test garden.  That combined with variations due to ground condition, target condition, and target orientation in the field make it really a dicey proposition to thread the notch needle in the manner you are intending.  I know you are having to deal with a lot of modern non-ferrous trash, but relying on air tests to set up your trash notch segments means you will never truly know how many good targets you are missing under real world conditions because they slid into your notch segments.  Maxx, I know why you have to do what you are trying to do, but whenever you go down the route of notching, you are always rolling the dice on a highly variable proposition even with seemingly stable TID performers..  Good luck and glad the Vanquish gives you a better shot at success, but be realistic about what you might also be leaving in the ground.  There really are no short cuts when it comes to detecting..

• Like 5

Your Vanquish/Equinox discrimination pattern might work if there was no such thing as co-mingled targets or even more than one target under the coil much less ground mineralization. The absolute only time I hunt with a discrimination pattern is when either the modern trash is just too much for me to make any headway OR the bed of nails creates the same thing. Civil War era relics in a bed of nails with falsing rusted iron and tin signals throughout the non-ferrous bullet/button range is just nasty. 

The same happens in a bed of magnetite searching for gold nuggets. If I eliminate the magnetite completely, along with any other major hot rocks, I will eliminate bread and butter gold.

I do keep a Park 1 discrimination pattern for bad modern trash on my 600 but it is only for emergencies. With the Vanquish, I have seen what several targets near each other under the coil will do. It is not pretty and the Equinox handles that situation much better.

If you are hunting a sparsely target populated open field with mild dirt for Civil War Era relics, go for it. Otherwise, good luck with the Vanquish and an iron target anywhere near a non-ferrous target.

Jeff

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Vanquish And Equinox Tids Are Almost But Not Identical
  • 2 weeks later...

I am aware that in the field of actual hunting the air test and even test garden test don't serve us well. Posted the post mainly because a number of people have asked how do the Vanquish 540 TID's compare to the 800.

Co mingled junk with good targets is the bane of my detecting existence in metro Atlanta. Not so lucky as Calabash digger hunting CW relics out in the countryside with less modern trash to deal with. In the field, I have not had much luck using discrim patterns, pretty much listen to everything. Would love to be able to have a solid and reliable discrim pattern, but have not found one for relics. Coin shooting in a trashy park is another matter. I can effective get rid of most junk, but give up chances on rings.

• Like 1

Congratulations to you for the effort, cause people can enjoy the numbers and improve skills...

Talking about "us"....All I can say is: 1 I don't trust Minelab Id scale numbers of today (both tested NOX 800 and Van540)...

Slightly better the Nox, but if you sweep the coil a little faster the 540 is crap to understand wtf there's under...

2 looking for precious stuff,transformed me in another kind of hunter (the worst), so that I'm never so satisfied of the instrument and even of myself for multiple reasons...

3 in all honesty, I'm seeing the market failure talking about quality/price ratio. I hate to call myself a professional and I never forget that is only cause cause I probably don't have much other choice to earn real money in my life...

4 my real valuable experience today, is to know that I've done terrible mistakes and multiple times....

Message for the world ❤️ never trust too much the fu.k.ng numbers...