Whites TDI SL Mod

In a previous post few years ago, I read where a forum member I think it was REG was stating he had given Whites the information on how to do several modifications to improve performance.

I think this was about Dec. 11, 2016   1. build battery pack using Panasonic 3400mah. 2. modify filters to allow for faster swing speed. (reduce value of c20 and c21 from 0.47uf to 0.22uf).

and a few other changes. 

After that said,  the TDI SL I just purchased shows it is a 2015 model. Am I correct in thinking these mods. were not done at factory? I am going to open up my unit and check c20 and c21.

Also I purchased a Minelab Commander 15"x12" mono coil to try on my TDI SL. for Saltwater beach moderate mineralization. Will this improve performance better than stock coils or should I look at better options for the coil choice. I was hoping to also use for relic hunting at some old camp sites.

After speaking with Jim, I have ordered the Panasonic 3400mah batteries to build my upgrade pack, and if need be will try to mod myself.

I am new to this forum, have been hunting since 1994 or 1995. got away from detecting for a while then came back to my senses, forgot the motto you work to live not live to work lol.

I have learned more from reading the forums that I have ever learned by my mistakes. I hope I can contribute something to this forum and pay forward for all of the ones that have helped me!

• Like 5

Whites has never done the mod of changing the values of C20 & C21, Lonnie. The only Reg Sniff mod they started doing at the factory (possibly in 2015) was removing C56, and the diodes D20 & D21, and installing a jumper across two of D21's terminals. That's usually called the "second" Reg S. mod. The first, which resulted in a faster sweep speed while still being sensitive to small gold, was swapping C20 & C21, which are .47ufd caps, and installing .22ufd caps in their place. That mod is not too hard to do. The "second" mod is much more difficult, and requires some serious soldering skills, and a good soldering station, with adjustable temperature. That second mod results in better sensitivity. I'm not sure either makes much difference in beach detecting.

Jim

• Like 3

Thank You Steve and Jim.

Any help is always appreciated, hope I can return the favor! Stay Safe, Healthy, and Happy Hunting! 

• 1 month later...

Hey South,

I don't remember your having an introduction on the "Meet and Greet"! And just found it here!

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! See ya around!👍👍

Thanks Joe D. I guess I kinda snuck in, lol every time I make a comment on other forums it seems someone wants to attack you. Glad Steve keeps this forum going in the friendly direction. I have learned more on forums than I ever did going out and making the same beginner mistakes, year after year. If one person took all the life learned lessons of all the members on these forums and wrote a book. That would be the Holy Bible of Detecting. Get my hint here Steve?

There is more knowledge among the seasoned detectorist that will be forgotten if we don't teach the next generation soon. I commend all that  take children out and expose them to our wonderful world of detecting. My wife and I would take her sisters children to the beach and place some coins around and let them find them. They never seemed happier. then came the world of cell phones and social media. They traded off metal detecting to be apart of the worlds new breed.

Happy Hunting and Stay Safe!

• Like 1

First mod is easy. Second mod is difficult only because the components, and board soldering pads, are REALLY tiny.

Jim