Wore Out GPZ Skidplate - Anyone Tried The Razorback?

Well, I have been getting in the hours and have wore out my GPZ 7000 scuff cover / coil cover / skidplate.

New genuine Minelab covers are like everything else GPZ rare as hen's teeth. Part number 3011-0286 and very few places on the internet can be found that advertise having them in stock. $62 retail, and Ft. Bedford claims to have them in stock for $48 http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/minelab-gpz7000-14x13-coil-cover

Miner John has an aftermarket coil at http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5908106 that Chris alerted us to back in May http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/930-gpz-7000-coil-cover-available/ for about the same price. It is twice as thick and has fewer slots that would let dirt get in between the coil and scuff cover. Has anyone tried these out and can report on them?

post-1-0-07877400-1442618507_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-78059500-1442618509_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-41157600-1442618512_thumb.jpg

I'm curious how much they weigh? Sounds minor, but a couple extra ounces can make a noticable difference over thousands of swings a day. I'll probably get one on my way through Vegas at Doc's in a month or so if no one has tried one by then.

I like the idea of it being thicker to add some strength to the bottom of the coil.

The bottom of my coil is a bit touch sensitive, giving false signals if I scrub the ground too hard.

Maybe these covers might help prevent the housing deflection that is causing that?

I've been using one of the black covers for a few months now. Wore out my stock GPZ cover with a quickness here in Arizona banging around dry washes and sharp rocks. The stock one is made of soft, Tupperware-like plastic.

The black replacement cover (got mine from Rob) is A LOT thicker. Sorta like that Kydex material they make gun holsters out of. It's a little heavier than the stock one but I use a bungee with my GPZ do it's not really a big deal. I probably won't ever wear the black one out. Didn't notice any loss in depth, sensitivity etc.

Still bringing home lots of gold.

• Like 2

I just got one from Doc. Have not tried it out in the field yet. It does not have near as many tabs around the perimeter as the stock skid plate which is a mistake in the design IMHO. I could not get it to fit (way to tight) and was worried about damaging the coil trying to get it on so I heated the tabs with a heat shrink gun and bent the tabs outward a little to make it fit. It is nice and thick but due to the trouble that I had getting it on the coil I'm inclined to think I'd rather just get the stock skid plate next time around. My stock skid plate wore out pretty fast and a lot of dirt gets inside easily.

strick

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

I haven't used the Razorback GPZ coil covers, but sell both Miner John's heavy duty cover and the stock white GPZ cover.  We also have the stock, replacement GPZ covers in stock, which can be seen here - 

http://www.robsdetectors.com/gpz-7000-replacement-stock-cover

The price difference from the Minelab stock coil cover vs. Miner John's heavy duty is only a few bucks.  Some like the heavy duty one, some like the more flexible Minelab replacement one.  

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

Hi Steve-

First post on your cool forum, although I do browse here from time to time to see if I can glean any tips from the gold guys that can be put to use here on the East Coast while relic hunting.

Anyhow- I see you mentioned us in your post.... :) We do stock these covers, and some of the other GPZ accessories. By now anyone's favorite dealer should either have in stock or be able to get virtually all of the GPZ specific accessories, as there was no restrictions to us on our most recent stock order.

I know that doesn't help you decide which coil cover is best, sorry! Unfortunately I haven't used mine enough to wear one out yet. :)

• Like 2