I often wondered why X-coils came out of Russia, I know Russia has a big interest in metal detectors and has a large user base of metal detectors but I always assumed it was relics and coins that were big there like in a lot of Europe. I never knew Russia was a country with a lot of gold. Then I looked it up and to my surprise Russia is the 3rd largest gold producer in the world.
A caption from a website about Russian Gold.
Russia recently established itself as the 3th largest gold producing nation in the world, behind China and Australia. With over 11% of the earth’s total land mass, Russia is also estimated to have the 3rd largest gold reserves in the world, with much of that gold yet to be recovered. An archaic regulatory process has limited development of many lode resources throughout the country by various mining companies. Despite these setbacks, Russia is considered to have some of the best potential for future development for gold mining in the coming decades.
You'll see in 2018 Russia was only just behind Australia in gold production with China in first place. Sadly New Zealand doesn't even make the list 😞
Russia is also known for very large nuggets, some of the known big nuggets are:
A 14-pound gold nugget called the “Devil’s Ear Nugget” was discovered in 2014.
A 22-pound gold nugget was found as recently as 2017.
Russia’s largest gold nugget – a 79-pounder was found in the southern Ural Mountains.
You can read about it on this website
Now that I know these facts it's no surprise at all X-coils came from Russia, It's also no surprise that the manufacturer of the X-coils is himself a prospector, and a very successful one too.
Here is a couple of videos of him finding some large nuggets using the 12" Spiral wound X-coil on his GPZ.
And some of the Gold he found recently.
Now it all makes sense why the X-coils came from Russia. It makes my little sub gram nugget finds look very tiny 🙂
Has anyone else had this happen? I was using the same settings I use in this area I go to. My tuning process was the same, but the last time I tuned, the ferrite wouldn't balance out. The detector still worked great but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't balance the ferrite out.
Should I have done a factory reset or something and just put in all the settings again?
It’s been awhile since my last post, but I’ll be sharing some knowledge and anecdotes more often, now that my summer job is a thing of the past and I’m free to once again roam the desert southwest, wielding the power of the mighty Zed to unearth nature’s golden treasures.
I was carefully gridding (or - in deference to Gerry in Idaho - crawling) an old nugget patch during a recent trip to the far flung reaches of Nevada’s golden triangle, when the hypnotic drone of the threshold was suddenly broken by a sharp, double “wee-ooh, wee-ooh”. This type of response typically heralds a small and shallow target, usually within six inches of the surface. “Most likely a boot tack or bird shot”, I thought to myself as I crouched down and scraped an inch or two of the dry and dusty desert soil away from the target zone with my pick. Another swing of the detector coil indicated that I had moved the target, and a quick sifting of the material with the hand scoop revealed a small yellow nugget...the first catch of the day! A few more of these shallow pickers were dug during the the next couple of hours, and then I heard a faint, single “wee-ooh”. Knowing that this meant a bit larger target at depth, I went to work hacking into the densely packed soil with my pick until...well, I’ll let this short video tell the rest of the story:
The actual weight of the nugget turned out to be 5.6 grams, bringing the total for the day to over a quarter of an ounce of the good stuff!
I've read a number of threads on the best way to cover and protect the coil and there's been a lot of good ideas for sure!
I thought I'd add mine for those who primarily hunt sandy beaches like I do.
Over the years, I've tried several ways to keep sand out since a build up between the coil and cover could and will result in a degree of false signals/chatter. What I finally determined was that sand is the "cleverest" of all elements with which I've had to contend. It can and does get into everything. No matter how well I thought I'd sealed the cover onto the coil, sand still managed to get in there...granted not much but my thinking is that if it's not supposed to be there, I want it outta there. And the one time I tried sealing the cover, it was he** to get the cover off! Conclusion; Sand will always get in but with most methods of sealing the cover, there's no way for it to get out!
I decided to find a way to give those clever grains of sand a way out. I came up with this solution about 5 or 6 years ago and it's worked well for me on my Florida beaches. I simply drilled holes in the cover which allows the water to rinse out the sand while still protecting my coil from bumps and scrapes. After searching the dry and wet sand, a few swipes in the surf and the sand is rinsed away. When I get home and remove the cover, there is only a very few isolated grains between the coil and cover...not nearly enough to cause me any trouble whatsoever.
Works for me but your mileage may vary and I'm always open to better ideas.
Note: I drill the holes from the inside out so there are no ridges on the inside which would inhibit efficient draining.
Just one method from my sandy foxhole.....
This poll is designed to see who is currently using either the Minelab SDC or GPZ detectors with a component of identifying anyone who actively uses both. (I hypothesize there may be a selection bias in this forum in favor of more detectorists who use the GPZ even though sales of the SDC are much higher.)