Gmx I Could Not Ground Balance In The Water

Locked or unlocked no ground balance. I would get a sound every time I lifted the coil. It had a constant id of 83 to 90 as I swept the coil. I was using the 6" concentric coil. In tone mode it beeped constantly as I swept. It works fine on land. I have the 6x10 coil ordered so hopefully it works. I'm surprised it didn't work in the water. On land the ground is all mild so I assumed in the water was mild. I did have sensitivity at 10. I haven't had a problem with other detectors there even with concentric coils.

Jack Pine (Tom) and I have hunted all the lakes where we live. Was thinking about it and none of our detector have been able to ground balance in the water. I don't remember if the lakes by Tom could ground balance. I took the Gold Kruzer in the same lake today. I could not get a ground balance beep. It did show 90 for the ground balance and was able to hunt with it using the 9.5x5 dd coil. The Gmx with the 6" concentric was not useable in the water.

With sensitivity at 10 on any high gain detector, coil knock is always a possibility. Just bumping the coil gently will make it react with a tone and maybe an ID. In water, there is constantly bumping of the coil and especially if you have low mineralization or super high mineralization. Here is a bit from the GMT 24K manual which explains that you should ground balance before you go in the water and lock it.

Problems from Low Ground Mineralization:

The GM24k is designed to work in an environ- ment of heavy iron mineralization. In some instances there may be so little mineralization that the search-coil will never go quiet as it ap- proaches the ground. In other words, there never seems to be any change or only a faint increase in hum as the coil is pumped. In this instance, lock the ground balance (lock button) and per- form a ground grab before detecting.

Jeff

• Like 1

I'll try that ground balancing on land first and lock it. It it didn't make any ground balance sound as the coil went to the sand. It was like a negative ground balance that as you lifted the coil off the sand there was a sound. Lifting the coil about 6" gets a quick sound. Showing the ground balance was very negative. Lowering it no sound. As the coil moved in the water the id was a constant 83-90. Like it was stuck there. I would have to assume in the water it is very mild ground but the concentric coil should have been perfect for it.

Gold Kruzer mineralization in the water 1 out 5 bars. On land 0-1 bars. 

• Like 1

I'm going to try it again in the water tomorrow. I'll ground balance on land and lock it and see it that works. Also going to try the 6x10dd coil when I get it.

I went back to the lake and figured out what's going on. It is working ok. Just keep the coil parallel to the bottom and it works fine. Raise the coil and there is the sound not like a target hit. I think as you raise and lower coil into the water you are get a sound from the water like get from your hand moved to the coil.

I'll try lowering sensitivity too.

In short, on high power, high frequency VLF's, for the best combination of depth, sensitivity to small gold, and least amount of time-wasting false signals, use the highest gain setting which still allows smooth, STABLE operation. In extreme soil conditions, excessive gain LOSES gold, and increases frustration.  

• Like 1

Yes the Gmx get a sound from air to water and when you lift the coil in the water. I'm surprised it so sensitive to the water. If its level in the water the Gmx runs very quiet. Lift it a little and you get a sound but you recognize what that sound is so it's just a little irritating. I don't know how well I will like that.

Can someone else try this. I don't think there is any way to quiet that. I don't know if isat would affect that. I keep it at 0.

Being a water detector White's should have fixed this. The Gold Kruzer doesn't do it.

The GMX/24K are really high gain, running on the edge detectors. I have used mine in creeks but unlike you and phrunt I don’t have the luxury of running my gold detectors on max sensitivity. I usually have my 24k somewhere between 3 and 7 and it has no problem at those settings with locked ground balance either gently entering or leaving shallow water (1 foot or so) on highly mineralized ground. Relax and listen to Jim. 

Jeff