First Day Out With The Vanquish 440

9 hours ago, Bashin said:

Went out to the horse ranch in Helena with my dear friend today, to do a little horse maintenance, and some detecting in the pastures.  She was using the newly arrived Vanquish 440, and I was using the Nox 800. 

….

Afterwards, I hit a new parking strip in the neighborhood with the Vanquish, and found several coins in short order. Lincoln memorial pennies, and three clad dimes.  I really like the ease of use of the Vanquish. Pretty much a turn on and go machine.  Good times!

Actually I had a concern about the use of the Vanquish by a total beginner , because the Vanquish audio is a little more complex than other detectors like the deus , simplex , tesoro and so on …  This ML audio ( like the Equinox , Explorer , etc .. ) is a little subtle and in addition multitone so I was wondering about this for a newbie use  …  

But from your post it looks like your friend has quickly learnt the Vanquish and is happy with it .

Good news , because I have suggested a few days ago a Vanquish 340 to a friend who is also a beginner....  So normally he should not complain  ..🙂

• Like 2

I have a 440 specifically for use by my grandkids.  I can size both the coil shaft and arm rest to suit those little arms.  It's an accurate and very easy to use detector for children, those new to the hobby and visitors.  Since we live close to all the Florida attractions and beaches, we get our share of visitors from up north.  The Vanquish is perfect for them.

Just the view from my foxhole....

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 4:10 AM, palzynski said:

This ML audio ( like the Equinox , Explorer , etc .. ) is a little subtle and in addition multitone so I was wondering about this for a newbie use  …  

There is nothing subtle about it when it bangs on a high conductor, believe me.  Newbs would do better with it than the Simplex from an audio, target ID, and user interface perspective.  Hope to get some video up soon to show what I am talking about.  It does have audio nuances the experienced detectorist can take advantage of (just like any late model ML detector) but that doesn't in any way hinder usability by beginners. 

[BTW - that is no bash on the Simplex.  The Simplex has intermediate level features at a beginner price point - in other words an outstanding value detector with some advanced capabilities that were left out of the Vanquish (e.g., waterproof, ground balance adjustments and a threshold-based all metal mode) which are great for the intermediate to advanced detectorist.  I think the Vanquish just sets up better for someone just getting into the hobby as a turn on and go detector with limited settings that someone would be hard pressed to screw up in a manner that would really hinder their detecting.  Contrast that with the Simplex which actually has a bit of a learning curve (not surprisingly considering the features Nokta packed into it) including some modes such as threshold-based all metal, that beginning users would find difficulty in setting up properly.]

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, phrunt said:

The Vanquish makes the perfect loaner machine for friends like that, it's just so easy to use and it's accurate ID's make it a joy for a beginner to dig up some good stuff, especially if they can remember the numbers to dig 🙂  I bet you'll end up using it quite often too when you feel like a lazy detect 🙂

Took my adult son out and he used my Vanquish 540 and I used my 800. Showed him how to turn on, select mode and start hunting.

Soon he as what do all the numbers mean. So I gave him the run down on typical numbers for different coins. and cautioned him to be aware that being co-located with different trash targets can alter the numbers display. So he said well then how do I know what these numbers mean. I explained if  he was lucky and swung over just a coin the numbers would mean something.

He just kept digging all sounds and number and had a blast.