Sign in to follow this  
Bash

First Day Out With The Vanquish 440

The Vanquish makes the perfect loaner machine for friends like that, it's just so easy to use and it's accurate ID's make it a joy for a beginner to dig up some good stuff, especially if they can remember the numbers to dig 🙂  I bet you'll end up using it quite often too when you feel like a lazy detect 🙂

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Bashin said:

Went out to the horse ranch in Helena with my dear friend today, to do a little horse maintenance, and some detecting in the pastures.  She was using the newly arrived Vanquish 440, and I was using the Nox 800. 

….

Afterwards, I hit a new parking strip in the neighborhood with the Vanquish, and found several coins in short order. Lincoln memorial pennies, and three clad dimes.  I really like the ease of use of the Vanquish. Pretty much a turn on and go machine.  Good times!

Actually I had a concern about the use of the Vanquish by a total beginner , because the Vanquish audio is a little more complex than other detectors like the deus , simplex , tesoro and so on …  This ML audio ( like the Equinox , Explorer , etc .. ) is a little subtle and in addition multitone so I was wondering about this for a newbie use  …  

But from your post it looks like your friend has quickly learnt the Vanquish and is happy with it .

Good news , because I have suggested a few days ago a Vanquish 340 to a friend who is also a beginner....  So normally he should not complain  ..🙂

• Like 2

I have a 440 specifically for use by my grandkids.  I can size both the coil shaft and arm rest to suit those little arms.  It's an accurate and very easy to use detector for children, those new to the hobby and visitors.  Since we live close to all the Florida attractions and beaches, we get our share of visitors from up north.  The Vanquish is perfect for them.

Just the view from my foxhole....

• Like 4

On 5/6/2020 at 4:10 AM, palzynski said:

This ML audio ( like the Equinox , Explorer , etc .. ) is a little subtle and in addition multitone so I was wondering about this for a newbie use  …  

There is nothing subtle about it when it bangs on a high conductor, believe me.  Newbs would do better with it than the Simplex from an audio, target ID, and user interface perspective.  Hope to get some video up soon to show what I am talking about.  It does have audio nuances the experienced detectorist can take advantage of (just like any late model ML detector) but that doesn't in any way hinder usability by beginners. 

[BTW - that is no bash on the Simplex.  The Simplex has intermediate level features at a beginner price point - in other words an outstanding value detector with some advanced capabilities that were left out of the Vanquish (e.g., waterproof, ground balance adjustments and a threshold-based all metal mode) which are great for the intermediate to advanced detectorist.  I think the Vanquish just sets up better for someone just getting into the hobby as a turn on and go detector with limited settings that someone would be hard pressed to screw up in a manner that would really hinder their detecting.  Contrast that with the Simplex which actually has a bit of a learning curve (not surprisingly considering the features Nokta packed into it) including some modes such as threshold-based all metal, that beginning users would find difficulty in setting up properly.]

• Like 5

On 5/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, phrunt said:

The Vanquish makes the perfect loaner machine for friends like that, it's just so easy to use and it's accurate ID's make it a joy for a beginner to dig up some good stuff, especially if they can remember the numbers to dig 🙂  I bet you'll end up using it quite often too when you feel like a lazy detect 🙂

Took my adult son out and he used my Vanquish 540 and I used my 800. Showed him how to turn on, select mode and start hunting.

Soon he as what do all the numbers mean. So I gave him the run down on typical numbers for different coins. and cautioned him to be aware that being co-located with different trash targets can alter the numbers display. So he said well then how do I know what these numbers mean. I explained if  he was lucky and swung over just a coin the numbers would mean something.

He just kept digging all sounds and number and had a blast.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Nuke em
      Yesterday i took my XP ORX to my dealer and swapped it for the Vanquish 540 Pro .
      I know i have said a few things in the past about it and i said i wouldn't buy it . Well i have .
      When i opened the box i saw the red (still yuk) , thank %$&* for a box cover lol
      I unpacked it and put it together and apart from the awful colour i thought it was well made . Apart from the battery cover which i think will cause trouble . I think there will be a few breakages . I also noted the different shade of red of the cover. 
      The control box buttons layout is fine but like other machines i have seen the coil lead goes into a tight spot in the side of the control box. Chubby fingers might not like that .
      Unfortunately the upper 2 shafts are painted , they should have been Carbon Fiber , i can see the paint being chipped a lot like they do on the ET / Explorer's .
      The stem locks look good but i dont like the coil bolt idea. Desi Dunne said that on his last video i saw before he passed away. Its a pity the middle shaft didn't collapse up above the top one like the Deus does . Could have collapsed to around 20 inches instead of 30 in.
      The coils look a good size and the small one will be good for Irony / trashy places . Pity the target numbers weren't 99 instead of 40 .
      I tested a few coins and the depth seems good at full sen's and the recovery speed seems good .
      I checked my new Maz headphones to see if they worked with my adapter and they do , i also paired the headphones out of the box and listened to them . They seemed ok but both sets of headphones seemed quieter than if just going without headphones. That might affect targets being heard for the hard of hearing . 
      I will also not be using the batteries out of the box , being only 1.2 volts and not 1.5 v that many disposable batteries have i will use disposables and use rechargables as back ups. I am used to getting a lot more power from batteries and Minelab's tendency to chuck any old stuff into the box ( batteries / Headphones ) lets them down and the RNB batteries of the ET prove that Minelab could do a lot better . 
      On the Nox there was an update that helped with knocking out crown caps , i think the Vanquish could do with that update if it can be done.
      Overall it looks not to bad a machine but like the Nox did it will have its place . I wont use it everywhere . As i think most that know me my ET is my main detector and Minelab will have to come up with something much better to prize my hand off that . 
      I still think that Minelab have made a machine that looks to much like a red Garrett Ace just in time for Garrett to come up with something that might be a lot better at the same price ? 
      I have to say the Vanquish is mega easy to set up . If Nokta/ Makro didn't think of it Minelab could have called this machine the Simplex . I will call it " Piece of q!55 " . I hope it finds my beaches a piece of q!55.
      If my beaches look right late next week i will use the 540 then . Before that i need to find some bicycle tyre innertube to put over the upper painted shaft to stop it scratching on the stones on the beach . 

• By Bash
      So I've been getting a lot of clad coins with both the Equinox and the Vanquish 440 in the local parks, but even in the older ones, silver coins have escaped me for a couple of months now.  In between thunderstorms this afternoon, I hit the neighbor's parking strip, and in less than ten minutes, I pulled two silvers and a wheatie!  My first silver quarter, AND my first Canadian silver. The quarter is pretty trashed, but I'm glad just the same!
      Felt good to break the slump!

• By Bash
      Found this Crackerjack Mystery Club coin yesterday with the Vanquish.  These were distributed from 1933 to 1934.

• By Tometusns
      First time on the beach so it was a new experience for me. The Vanquish ran very quiet over the dry and wet sand. I was able to run the sensitivity maxed 99% of the time. No great finds but did get some deep and some small targets. I ran in the jewelry mode with 1 notched out. Couple opals found about 15ft. apart I'm sure they came from the same piece of jewelry. A sterling earring back along with another small silver(?) piece off something and a fake coin that I at least said hmmm when I first dug it Lol . Plenty of clad coins. I almost (almost) quite digging those 10 plus inch zinc signals but it was a good experience. Thanks for looking! Tom

• By ColonelDan
      Anyone interested in a report on the 440 can find it here:
      https://www.kellycodetectors.com/pages/field-test-minelab-vanquish-440-metal-detector/
      My hunting buddy Gary and I collaborated on the report for Kellyco and they published it on their website.
      We found this a very impressive machine for $279 but you can read the report and judge for yourself.
      Note: Gary and I are not employees of Kellyco nor do we have any financial interest in or relationship with Kellyco.

• By Bash
      I was playing around with the Vanquish 440 in the parking strip yesterday afternoon, when I got a very strong consistent signal in the 4 -6 range. I haven't been digging many signals in this range, as I don't get many, and all I have dug, have been trash. This one was strong and not choppy at all, so I proceeded to dig.
      Glad I did!
      I pulled out a James M. Cox presidential campaign stud from the 1920 presidential election. His running mate was Franklin D. Roosevelt!  They lost to the Harding - Coolidge ticket.  This is pretty degraded, but cool to find just the same. Gonna have to go back and dig those lower signals!  I've included a picture of one in good condition.