I Had A Dream, White's New TDI Sl. What I Want.

So what would I dream White's would add and change on the Tdi Sl. Interesting to see what direction others would like White's to go in.  

Not asking them to reinvent the whole system, just significant tweeks to breath new life into the Tdi machines.

1.Keep the light weight body. A well balanced detector that is super light and easy to swing all day.

2. Replace the mounting setup, like the old Tdi Pro, please use screws so I can hip mount the detector quickly and easily.

3. Keep using the same battery system, just upgrade to a 16 volt rechargeable, or 4 x 18650 system. Extra voltage matched with upgraded components etc Push the boundaries..

4. Retain the compatibility with MInelab coilts etc.

5. Upgrade the ground balance please, fine and course.. or a ten turn.... makes a big difference.

6. Yes I admit this sounds like a Tdi Pro in a smaller, lighter and better balanced rig. Only dreaming but far from impossible. Nothing mentioned here that has not been done by owners in the past as           modifications of existing White's machines.

I can live without hipmount on such a light and well balanced machine, I've already pushed the battery system to max, at 16 volts. I'll keep a lazy eye out for a solution to the ground balance knob, I've seen a two tier knob etc. Just dreaming.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, karelian said:

So what would I dream White's would add and change on the Tdi Sl. Interesting to see what direction others would like White's to go in.  

Not asking them to reinvent the whole system, just significant tweeks to breath new life into the Tdi machines.

1.Keep the light weight body. A well balanced detector that is super light and easy to swing all day.

2. Replace the mounting setup, like the old Tdi Pro, please use screws so I can hip mount the detector quickly and easily.

3. Keep using the same battery system, just upgrade to a 16 volt rechargeable, or 4 x 18650 system. Extra voltage matched with upgraded components etc Push the boundaries..

4. Retain the compatibility with MInelab coilts etc.

5. Upgrade the ground balance please, fine and course.. or a ten turn.... makes a big difference.

6. Yes I admit this sounds like a Tdi Pro in a smaller, lighter and better balanced rig. Only dreaming but far from impossible. Nothing mentioned here that has not been done by owners in the past as           modifications of existing White's machines.

I can live without hipmount on such a light and well balanced machine, I've already pushed the battery system to max, at 16 volts. I'll keep a lazy eye out for a solution to the ground balance knob, I've seen a two tier knob etc. Just dreaming.

7.  Bring Tom Boykin back.  :smile:  (Hey, it was a dream scenario)

• Like 2

Years ago it was a hit song by the title Dream. I’m not sure who the artist was but when he comes back singing that song maybe then a change will be made to the TDI SL.

Reg said long ago he was contacting Whites to give them mods to make the TDI better. He said at first they would talk with him but later the engineers didn’t want to take his calls anymore.

I guess if I was getting paid big bucks to do a job and here comes this guy knowing more than myself. I just maybe want to sweep him under the rug too.

I’d like to say that one day I’ll buy from Whites again but I don’t see that anytime soon.

Chuck 

PS  Having Tom and Dilek can make a company but without can break one .

Chuck 

10 hours ago, karelian said:

Could this be a (not too difficult) DIY upgrade?  I mentioned multi-turn lockable knobs in the Tesoro forum a few months ago.  You would also need a multi-turn variable resistor who's max resistance value matches the max value of the currently installed single turn pot.

On 5/7/2020 at 12:35 AM, karelian said:

18 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could this be a (not too difficult) DIY upgrade?  I mentioned multi-turn lockable knobs in the Tesoro forum a few months ago.  You would also need a multi-turn variable resistor who's max resistance value matches the max value of the currently installed single turn pot.

It might end up looking something like this....

whites-tdi-pro-control-panel.jpg
White's TDI Pro controls

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

High power TDI in MX Sport body. Not going to happen from White’s unfortunately but it’s in the works elsewhere, so there is hope.

Where?  Maybe I need to research more?  Is it obvious and I have missed it?

27 minutes ago, dbsmokey said:

Where?  Maybe I need to research more?  Is it obvious and I have missed it?

Direct offshoot of the Eric Foster Goldscan and therefore blood relative to the TDI...
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11421-fisher-impulse-aq-discrimination-explanation/

There are “many” full time, part time, hobbyists and amateur detectorists who are struggling to swing heavy Minelab PI detectors.....good balance can only go so far before arm, elbow, shoulder, neck or back pain creeps in. A good deal of these people would gladly move to an overall lighter detector platform and would happily accept “some” performance drop by moving away from a Minelab.......because now they can hunt for 10 hours a day instead of 5.

It’s a case of not if, but when, Minelab sees this opportunity.......and fills it.

The TDI SL physical platform is there already........just needs to be tweaked under the hood 👍

If the performance was right up there with Minelab then someone’s going to have their lunch eaten 😳

Minelab has very deep pockets.....I also suspect they could probably counter “rival” machines should the need arise. I can only imagine what future tech / prototypes they already have in the works with some ready for market !

• Like 1