Avoid Digging Aluminum Trash

Well said GB!

My little bit, I know what a good target sounds like on couple of my machines with a great deal of accuracy and still learning my MK. With that being said and knowing how a good target sounds I avoid the other targets. One of the reasons I don't notch disc anything out other than the lowest denominator being iron and in some cases foil and small aluminum. I have a great confidence that I haven't missed any gold rings in doing so when I still pick up earings. This just tells me that there are most likely no gold rings.

VDI #'s are nice but my first choice for indicator is the audio regardless what the vdi shows. The strength of a signal and how far you can hear it with coil lifted, duration of the signal and how long or short it carries and the roll of the target are the real indications I go by. It really doesn't matter to me what machine I use with my PI as an exception as the audio on that is pretty consistent with incredibly subtle differences.

Trash has so many variables over good targets I find it easier to just ignore them.

The only times it gets tricky is with iron masking so I listen for breaks on some machines or keep my iron audio low and hit those spots at a couple of angles to see if a target is being dragged down. Iron will bring a good target or even smother it in one direction but you may get a chirp or much higher # in another direction and of course if you somehow see a spike at near max of the VDI range then it's just big iron.

• Like 3

I really appreciate those "aluminum" targets too. The last two gold rings I found last week both had multiple target ID numbers on the Equinox. One was 10,11,12 and the other one was 13,14,...........even though the targets sounded good, I was not expecting gold jewelry when I dug them. I got lucky or  thankfully I made myself dig two fairly iffy signals.......

Jeff

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kac said:

VDI #'s are nice but my first choice for indicator is the audio regardless what the vdi shows.

A friend of mine once told me that in Germany, if you're learning to work with metals, you're not allowed to use a machine until you've first proven that you know how to work with hand tools, files in particular.  Only when you've mastered those tools and their associated techniques can you move up to lathes, milling machines, etc.

Maybe that's the way it should be with metal detectors.  I know when Kevin Hoagland is teaching finding native gold, he covers the screens of his students' detectors (the ones that have screens) and forces his students to listen to the subtle sounds that indicate a possible good target.  Maybe coin, relic, and jewelry detecting should start the same way.  Those who cut their teeth on the Tesoros learned the right way, IMO.

• Like 5

I learned on a Tesoro Lobo and a Cutlass II. Awesome detectors. I often think about getting another one but then I remember I already kind of have a Tesoro on steroids with the 3 tone ORX. In discrimination modes the VDIs are fairly useless where I detect. I just go on the quality of the tones. Fortunately, the Nox has accurate tones and accurate target IDs that I can always depend on especially when I need both of them.

Jeff

• Like 4

It's all about the audio.  I had both the Tejon and Vaquero, several years ago and I got good at knowing when the target was a pencil eraser end.

It should always be the audio first.

• Like 6

On 5/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, Rick N. MI said:

My ground is mild. I haven't used Coin Fast mode but it makes sense for jewelry hunting. Targets won't be real deep. I'll have to bury some test targets to help learn. In northern Michigan I don't have a lot of areas to hunt. I've switched to water hunting. I want to try the Orx for jewelry hunting on land though. I have the 9" hf coil.

Does it matter what frequency is used? A high frequency would get a better hit on gold wouldn't it.

I have also the 9inches hf coil on my Deus , actually it works exactly the same on the Orx , just you have less features on the Orx , like just 3 tones on the Orx as already been said.  ( I have done a full test the Orx a year ago for a shop here in France ) . 

My settings ( coin hunting , mild ground ) for the Orx :

- Low iron trashed area:    coin fast , 14khz

- High iron trashed area :  coin fast , 30khz  ( will be more sensible to small targets with this freq )

I use very rarely the 50khz freq for coins because of the depth loss . I just noticed that you can can pick very small targets with this freq , so probably interesting for gold nuggets I do not know.

Actually you have made a good choice , the 9inches HF coil is probably the best coil I have seen from XP since I have been using their machines ( the 1st one was the Goldmaxx in 2007 )  ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

It's all about the audio.  I had both the Tejon and Vaquero, several years ago and I got good at knowing when the target was a pencil eraser end.

It should always be the audio first.

Alain Loubet - the founder and CEO of XP was a big fan of Tesoro detectors and the analog audio.  The story goes that when Alain suggested some modifications to improve on his design to Jack Gifford of Tesoro, Jack kindly told him what he could do with his suggestions.  That inspired Alain to build his own analog audio ID detector, the Adventis around 2000 which had a very familiar Tesoro look and feel.  After some iterations on that concept, Alain embarked on a groundbreaking wireless design that became the Deus and it's simplified but similar performing cousin, the ORX.  While the Deus and ORX do have digital target ID displays, they are also primarily about the audio and borrow their audio target ID from XP's earlier analog offerings.  Full tones, pitch tones, and Gold Field's VCO pitch like audio convey a lot of subtle target information their audio and the visual target ID just provides an additional piece of the puzzle.  Most relic hunters in the UK that use the Deus often hunt purely by audio and leave the control unit that displays target ID information (and helps to custom program their machines) in the car during the hunt relying solely on the wireless headphone audio to make dig decisions. You could say that the Deus audio has a little Tesoro DNA included in it's design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1