Minelab 1000 Coil Detection

When I swing the coil over a target from left to right I get signal return but when I sweep in the opposite direction no signal detected. Is this normal or do I have a defective coil. Both coils that came with the unit do the same thing. This is my first metal detector so I'm not familiar with their technical properties. 

Are you asking about the Gold Monster 1000? If you are using iron discrimination and it is an iron target, the target is really small, deep, or you have hot rocks or other targets nearby that are masking the signal, you may only get a beep from one direction. Turn 90 degrees and see what happens.

Also, since you are a new detector user, practice a lot on targets that you expect to find or are similar to gold, like lead and aluminum.

Jeff

That is not uncommon with the Gold Monster using the discrimination mode, and a good reason for not using the discrimination mode. I always used all metal and if I wanted discrimination relied on the meter readings. You also get far better depth in all metal mode.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-gold-chance-indicator-display.jpg

• Like 2

Flycatch,   That's funny and a good observation. My Lobo ST (AM) does close to the same thing on a small target at it's extreme edge of detection. Left to right a soft signal, right to left almost a null or no signal, I scrape off a bit of top soil and give it another pass. I then investigate if the signal improves. Jeff is right about small bits of lead for practice targets.