Hello From Reno

ketchneddy

Hello, I'm a total noobie and will try and not embarrass myself with stupid questions. I haven't made a detector purchase yet but hope to soon. I've read lots of reviews and watched tons of videos, but wonder how all those machines actually work where I live. I'm totally open to suggestions from anyone, but especially those of you in northern Nevada. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! The only stupid questions are the ones that go unasked. There is nothing magical about metal detecting, just pick a decent spot, dig stuff, and use proper techniques for leaving no trace i.e. carefully filling holes, even in the middle of nowhere. The way you learn is to go do it and pay attention while digging stuff. No magic settings required - use the recommended settings in your manual to get started. Location and patience matter more than anything. Finally, in a lot of ground in Nevada or California you may only get half the depth people back east talk about due to higher ground iron mineral content. Do not expect 10” dimes, more like 5” - 8” at best. Good luck!

IMG_0038.PNG

• Like 2

Hey Ketchn, Glad to have you here. As Steve said there are no dumb questions. Just ask away and you will find out how many great replies you will get. I'm sure we are all looking forward to helping you find the detector that will best suit your needs. Just post a budget, what you want to detect for and you will have answers in a very short time. So glad you came aboard.

• Like 2

Welcome to the crowd.

If your not in a rush there are some new machines rolling out and the trend is lower cost/high performing so watch what people are saying.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard and as Steve has stated there are no stupid questions, except for the ones that you don't ask.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Ketch,

As was said previously, new detectors are rolling out as we speak! Budget, and expected targets are a good starting point! Local knowledge, and research can also help guide your decision making process! Ask lots of questions, and think of all types of areas you may want to search! That will guide you to the right detector!

Good Luck👍👍

• Like 1

Hey Ketch,

Welcome to the forum!  You've made a good choice researching on the forum before purchasing.  I got my detector at the end of March after doing the same thing.  Lots of helpful information here, and even more helpful (and friendly) folks.

Let us know what you wind up getting!

~Bash

• Like 1