Equinox 800 For Gold? How Stupid....

Jeff Mc.- I still have a few sites the NOX has issues with as for mineralized ground, but that is what PI and ZVT are for.  What really impresses me with the NOX is the classification of "Multi Use" and then when compared to the VLF gold specific detectors for a variety of gold hunting, the NOX is my choice.  I just have a hard time trying to convince folks who call and ask of my opinion and then think I am trying to sell them a Multi Use detector for their gold hunting needs.  Realize, I'll sell you exactly what you ask for...but if you keep fishing me on what I use, you'll get the truth and it might not match your initial request.  I actually feel Minelab did a piss poor job of promoting how effective the NOX is when used as a VLF gold detector and in fact how well it does for a variety of MD'ing styles.  But at the same time, I realize they have other detector models that need to be moved.

Phrunt - Yes the selectable Notch Discrimination is a great feature on the NOX.  That is part of the reason we prefer it vs our traditional gold machines as they are not quite there yet.  As you can see, we enjoy finding bigger gold, but the sites we hunt have higher concentration of 100+ yr old Prospectors trash and Iron can kill you.  Digging occasional iron is OK, but when I have a detector that has the capabilities to ID it better than the competition, I'll be swinging it.  Digging iron wastes to much energy at these sites and that is why they still produce gold.  Now, there are times when you need to remove everything, so I have no issues with folks who like to do, but realize some detectors can make life easier.   I just happen to be in a position to get and test the majority of them.

Lunk-  Yes you have some in those pics.  Sunbakers are my favorite.

Dances with Doves and Matt,  I did not forget you and will reply later, the wife is already telling me this weekends hubbydos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gerry,outstanding article,although in theory here in the UK we dont nugget hunt as such,but we do of course have other very desirable gold objects ie artifacts,coins and jewellery and yes the Equinox is more that capable and probable the best non PI detector for the job.

Mine is basically only ever used with the 6'' coil these days,mainly because of the results of a couple of bike accidents back in the 70s,when i do use the larger coils on not only the Nox but any machine i have to use a full GPX harness as that is the only way that i can detect.

Thanks again for a terrific read and the images.

• Like 1

Gerry,

You've got that NOX dialed in dude !!! Your killing it.... Here is a picture of my first gold found with the Equinox 800 when they first came out, I think this picture was April 8, 2018.... I never leave home without it...

Dave

313941715_DolanDaveEquinox80004-08-2018.jpg.9c779bb977fd5aa1c7452c60a0a073b8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dance w/ Doves: Both detectors work well for the 2 applications you asked.  I've been told the new GMX is a waterproof 24K and if that is the case with no other changes, then I know the 24K is quite capable since I was one of the testers.  Now if you go to a salt water hunt, all bets are off for the 24K or GMX.  They are single frequency detectors designed for gold prospecting, so to try salt water is not what they were built for.  I actually like the smaller coils on the White's more than the 6" round on the NOX, but I am cutting hairs by now.  ID capability on the NOX is better than 24K and for gold rings or coins in tot-lots, hot springs, rivers and freshwater swimming areas the NOX will punch deeper, partially because it comes standard with a 10" round coil.  If you are a White's guy and used to their VLF gold machines, then probably stick with American Made White's.  If you think having more capabilities, an extra yr of warranty and might hunt coins or salt beaches, then go NOX.

24KVB4.jpg

24KVB44.jpg

DSCN0158s.jpg

DSCN0384.JPG

• Like 8

Matt,  I'm always trying to get the best Settings for a particular site or size of gold targets, so I change as I hear/see it needs it.  As for standard Prospecting, I tell you the Engineering team did a pretty good job for the most part with the FP's.  The one think I do make sure of most of the time, is I use the Horseshoe to OPEN up all metals and then listen with my ears.  My SENS is in the 17 to 21 range most of the time and I really like 19.  I always use some Threshold for a good background hum.  I sure wish the Monster had Threshold.  I'm usually in Gold Mode #1.  If a lot of iron in the area, I like to go to IB F2 in the Advanced Settings.  "be sure you have the last software update", or you'll not see the F2.  As for PI's missing Specimens?   Many PI guys would shit themselves if they seen some of the gold my lil VLF finds that their machines can't see.  I have $5K pieces and a 5000 won't do squat.  3 yrs ago I even found a 1 ounce speci with $500 worth of gold right in front of my customer with his ZED.  He was totally blown away as he had just finished hunting the spot (in fact told me to go there).  He couldn't believe he did not cover than little piece of ground.  Well 30 minutes later and a few more pieces in my pocket, he comes over and wants to check the speci on his 7000.  Nothing, nauda… I did sell him a Monster later on though.  

Settings and who's is best is only part of the game.  To me, the most important aspect of Prospecting Nuggets with a VLF is proper coil control, sweep speed and knowing what to listen for.

If you really want to learn from some Kick Ass Gold Collectors, my staff and I will be training at Rye Patch, NV next month.  I still have openings and if you are interested, let me know.

• Like 5

RickUK,  I have some customers that are pretty beat up and the one thing we really like is the Swing Arm off of a GPZ-7000.  I sell so many of those and if you swing an SDC-2300, the Swing Arm is a must.  Now some of my staff are also really big on the Hip Stick my buddy Chris in NV sells.  I even seen the folks on Gold Show using them.

Steve H.  Funny you feel the 24K has the same advantages I do as I had said some of those things in my reply to Dances with Doves a few minutes after your post.  Any YES Minelab is really missing the boat with a 10" Ellip DD coil or even a smaller 6" Ellip DD, but I know most folks would prefer the 10" Ellip. 

Trevor at CoilTek….Help us out.  I promise it will outsell the SDC coils.

• Like 2

Re (the Swing Arm off of a GPZ-7000.  I sell so many of those and if you swing an SDC-2300, the Swing Arm is a must.)  

Yes But its a mindset change as well, SWMBO'ed never used a swing arm on her 4500 or previous detectors, so it was a sell job. now its always in use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

RickUK,  I have some customers that are pretty beat up and the one thing we really like is the Swing Arm off of a GPZ-7000.  I sell so many of those and if you swing an SDC-2300, the Swing Arm is a must.  Now some of my staff are also really big on the Hip Stick my buddy Chris in NV sells.  I even seen the folks on Gold Show using them.

Steve H.  Funny you feel the 24K has the same advantages I do as I had said some of those things in my reply to Dances with Doves a few minutes after your post.  Any YES Minelab is really missing the boat with a 10" Ellip DD coil or even a smaller 6" Ellip DD, but I know most folks would prefer the 10" Ellip. 

Trevor at CoilTek….Help us out.  I promise it will outsell the SDC coils.

Gerry,i forgot to mention that i do own and use a Hipstick as well especially on say a big heavy rig like a TDI Pro with a 20'' Mono,so thanks for that suggestion about the Swing Arm.

In one of your other posts you mention about using the Horseshoe on 'most' of the time with a decent threshold as well,that is also what i found was deadly on the Equinox as well.

Thanks again for your tips and tricks.

• Like 1