Another Bc Newb

EasyEd

Hey All,

Vancouver Island resident here. Been interested in gold for decades ever since working for BLM in eastern Oregon mapping soils and veg types and seeing fine gold in soil south west of Baker. I was told there is a million dollars in gold in the soil on that hill and it wouldn't cost a dime over 10 million to get it out. Who knows if that was true or not but it sure sparked some interest that has lain quasi dormant since then. And then there is the mine close to Baker with lots a gold they say but full a water - too much to pump as it was tried.

Yes I am dual US/Canadian citizen and I have lived in Montana Washington Oregon California Alberta and now BC. I have been all over parts of these states/provinces as my background is natural resources forestry and range. I'm also interested in geology and am fascinated by the lake Missoula floods and even the likely theory that the Colorado River once drained into Davis strait off the west coast of Greenland. Sediments apparently say so.

All that said I often wonder how much gold is still out there in places maybe not detected based on large scale geologic events? For example could there be gold from the Rockies at dry falls which some estimates say had as much water flowing over it as all the fresh water rivers on earth today?

I see all this as a fascinating puzzle and gold as part of it. So I am thinking as I near retirement to add detecting to my list of stuff to spend money on. Course it'll compete with lever action rifles and guitars and photography my other main vices.

As you can guess my interest in detecting is about 2/3 gold 1/3 coins jewelry etc.

I do have my eyes on one of two detectors NOX and ORX but definitely not based on any real world experience of any kind. Much more expensive than those not currently in my budget.

I look forward to participating here.

-Ed-

• Like 5

Great to have you here Ed, I'm not much of a gold guy being from PA, but I'm sure your knowledge and thoughts will be of great use to the members of DP. Glad you decided to join this great forum. The amount of awesome gold and coin detectors out there are overwhelming at times, but just take your time and make your decision based on the areas/soil, and budget and you will come out on top of a great hobby. Looking forward to your first finds!!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the best site on the internet, please post your finds on here as you are in a great area for detecting.

Along the coast has been many ship wrecks centuries ago as the explorers came to that part of the country.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Welcome Ed!

You'll find this to be the most welcoming and informative detecting forum on the web.  Looking forward to reading your future posts!

Hello Ed! And welcome, 

Your background may give you a leg up on the competition! You can pick Steve's (the boss here) brain for a suggested starting point!( equipment, locations, etc..) 

There are also many other experienced individuals here to assist in your endeavor! 

Good luck with the new hobby!👍👍