1st Detector For Sierra / Reno Area

Hi all! I'm looking for suggestions for a first purchase metal detector for using in the sierra/reno area. I'm thinking the vanquish 540, the simplex+ or multi kruzer. I can't really afford an equinox. Any suggestions, thoughts? Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you! i've been looking at the promo stuff. it looks pretty good. the only thing holding me back from the vanquish was the fisher price look and the vulnerability to water exposure. i know the apex isn't waterproof, but it looks like it could withstand a rain shower, although not that much of a risk in nevada🙂. i'm not in a hurry and can wait a bit for some real life reviews after the apex is released. who knows, maybe a used equinox will show up for sale before then. thanks for remembering me with the suggestion. i appreciate it.

I’ve already touted the 19 kHz TRP, an offshoot of the Gold Bug Pro/F19 series, as a potential west coast bargain priced prospecting unit. The 12 kHz Simplex is a submersible alternative at a lower price that would be ok for gold prospecting. I did quite well on gold with the 13 kHz F75 and the Simplex would probably match the F75 for gold nugget capability. But even a Vanquish with 8” coil would surprise people on gold nuggets. These low cost machines are getting to be like low cost computers... pretty darn capable compared to even top end machines just a few years ago.

My main issue with Simplex has been the protracted bug fix timeline as the machine was rushed to market early, and first year owners have been beta testing it. Only the latest software release gives it the appearance of being a nearly complete product, as something was done that changed coil compatibility, no doubt accounting for the long delay in the release of accessory coils.