Nuggets On Bedrock Or Not?

Very nice find, good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

Nice find, Rob, WTG!

• Like 1

Sweet looking find. I've found them like that as well, cemented in a matrix.

As to your question about detecting nuggets, I've found far more on bedrock (or the pay-layer riding on the bedrock); however, there have been exceptions, and in the areas I hunt the most, that's been due to glacial action where there have been multiple deposition events, with some deposits carrying gold while others were not.

The nuggets not on bedrock were in distinct pay-layers above the bedrock.

Other exceptions have been where there were massive out-washes from a blown channel where large boulders tumbled out with the breakout, and the nuggets tucked in behind the boulders, and these deposits were nowhere near the bedrock.

As others have done, I've found nuggets loafing on hillsides, as well as salted in among avalanche debris that tore gold loose as it rocketed down the mountainside, and I've got some nice ones that were left on hardpan or a false bedrock far above the true underlying bedrock. (Glaciers do crazy things when they're packing gold around.)

However, the largest take has always been from bedrock, and that includes while dredging or metal detecting.

All the best, and congratulations on your finds,

Lanny

• Like 2

Just now, Steve Herschbach said:

In desert locations surface deflation

I call this soil depletion.  Same thing just a different term.  It is surprising how much real estate the wind and water can move.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

That for all the comments.  I have to agree with all of you, gold may or may not be on bedrock.   Most of the places I hunt, which is typically the gully bottoms, I find majority of my gold on or very near bedrock.  I have found the exceptions, where maybe the nugget(s) rolled in from the hillside or maybe popped out of a vein crossing the creek.  

I think the Old-timers had the best saying, "Gold is Truly where you Find It!" :nugget:

Rob

• Like 3