A Few Hours Out

Howdy folks,

Got out sunday for the first time in awhile. I ditched my Zuma a few weeks back climbing a steep hill to an old mine and cracked afew ribs so today was my first day digging much.

Out of the house after chores and lunch. I hit a stream that i have never mined but have been wanting to check out for awhile. Found good access lately so i gave it a shot. 

Found my one and only nugget of the day at the second bedrock outcropping i scanned - about 20 min in to my hunt.  It was wedged into a crevasse on the downside of a slight drop. I fanned off a little DG sands and out she shone. Low and Slow for the next hour but nothing. 

Up slope from this stream was a series of very rich ground sluice and high terrace placer mines so i decided to head that way and scout a new spot. Found some good looking ground to return to and work but found no more gold. I did find a knife with a little wood still on the handle - much of it crumbled when i dug it up but a little held on and its just pulp. Also dug out a cool shovel thats got a neck and rivet style i have never seen. The knife was near the top of a rise at the edge of a very small ground sluice workings -  just the place for a brake or some lunch - nothing else around it anywhere near by. 

Love the character of this nug - just under 1 dwt weight wise and warbled like old lead on the SDC coming off the target.

A short but very needed and enjoyable hunt

May ya find some gold!

AjR

post-661-0-28433800-1442970997_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-38382500-1442971054_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-34126800-1442971107_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-38242700-1442971115_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-71037000-1442971119_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice nugget scott valley man. And I like the relics of long ago. I have seen hundreds of those old shovels thru the years. They all seem flat nosed from the ol miners diggin and braking their backs every day. Sorry to hear about your ribs. I have bruised mine years ago and it really sucks. If you even sneeze it is painful.

Glad you got a chance to find a nugget. It keeps you going till next time.

I hope to get out soon aswell. Been too busy with work and now deer season is open. Have to spend weekends off taking my partner in crime out hunting so she can shoot her buck.

Congrads

Always enjoy your stories. That shovel looks like it's ready to go back to work. All you need is a to go to Ace and buy a new handle. Congrats on the gold..

strick

Interesting thing about those old shovels-it took 9 to 14 pieces to make one, not counting the handle.  Today we stamp shovels out of one piece of metal and the handles are a straight shaft of wood versus a double curve handle for the "old miner's" shovels.  The name of the maker will be on the top tang and some have been found with Chinese markings.  Historic find-good job.

Nice gold and relics. Thanks for sharing and hope your ribs improve so you can keep getting out there!