Gold Basin Thief Caught

The sheriff invited all the thievery victims to sort through the recovered items in the warehouse. They "forgot" to call me, and of course all the stuff was claimed by now. So all my stuff basically got stolen a 2nd time. I submitted a long, detailed list of almost $20,000 worth of stolen tools, prospecting equipment when the burglary happened, etc and they said they "lost" it. I said BS, I emailed it to them a number of times months ago and then magically they found it 15 seconds after I said I would find it for them. Still, too late.

They did recover my ATV and no one else could claim it since it has a unique VIN in the stolen database. But no one told me they recovered it and the towing company which the sheriff hired to remove it is charging more than it's worth now in "storage" fees. The towing company never told me they had it either, despite having my name, address, and phone number. So, they now own my ATV via what looks to me an aweful lot like legalized extortion.

So, even though a lot of my stuff was apparantly recovered, other people apparantly have more rights to it than me. Or something. I'm not too happy about any of it, but I really can't do anything about it, so whatever. :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 4

You might try going after that towing company in a state court or find some more people who were screwed by them and do a class action suit. They were not acting legally, but no one calls them on it and county agencies can be in cahoots.  I know, all that kind of stuff is a big hassle. I've read about a county in New Mexico where the sheriff wasn't interested in pursuing murder cases!

• Like 1

That little area sounds like a full-blown grifter paradise. I hate hearing about all this seemingly incidental accidental forgetfulness - it is another form of bunko plain and simple. Sorry you had to get involved involuntary as it was. It is infuriating and all too common in this country these days.

• Thanks 1

I know you’re beat up after all that you have been through and I totally understand. But, you might want to pursue getting your ATV back. The tow agency is required by law to notify the registered owner immediately. I realize that didn’t happen. Your ATV is a “Recovered/Stolen” vehicle. The tow agency cannot charge storage fees on a recovered/stolen. Your ATV was not parked illegally nor was it a police impound. Those are cases where storage fees are collected. I’m going by California law as that’s where I live. I sure hope Arizona law is not too different. I wish you good luck. 

Mike W.

• Like 7

Good they got what they deserved I’d imagine the level of nefarious behavior they partook runs deeper than we can imagine, sorry about most all your stuff being stolen twice, by other prospectors wtf. 

Few weeks ago I was driving on hideout road just off pierce ferry stopped to air Down and an older couple stopped to tell me the sheriff was looking for a blue stolen ford truck with a black tool box, probably work by the same group. After I‘M done walking around for the day it’s always nice to see the Jeep still where I parked it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Good they got what they deserved I’d imagine the level of nefarious behavior they partook runs deeper than we can imagine, sorry about most all your stuff being stolen twice, by other prospectors wtf. 

Few weeks ago I was driving on hideout road just off pierce ferry stopped to air Down and an older couple stopped to tell me the sheriff was looking for a blue stolen ford truck with a black tool box, probably work by the same group. After I‘M done walking around for the day it’s always nice to see the Jeep still where I parked it.

1515Art,

I was also approached by a deputy and investigator looking for the same guy... Weird how they found me, their helicopter hovered 50 feet above me, till the deputy showed up....

Jason, glad the guy is dead.... sorry for your losses on all your stuff, it sucks, been there done that in Dolan (Stolen) Springs...

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up, I am checking into laws regarding towing and recovered property in AZ right now, if I have some way to pursue it, I will do it. I've had so much stuff stolen from me the past few years that I'm going to pursue any thief, claim jumper, and general crook until my last dying breath with every legal avenue I have, for as long as it takes. Companies or individuals.

Thankfully my detectors were in Wyoming with me when my AZ property got hit so I still have all of them. 

Definitely lock your vehicles up out there, even if in sight. The yucca harvester guy on the Mardian Ranch told me they stole his sons truck 15 minutes after he parked and walked over the hill to say hello to dad. He's out behind Gold Basin and carries a rifle with him now. The thieves are all armed and obviously not afraid to get in shootouts too.

There was 2 shootouts on the same freakin' day in nowheresville. What are Dolan and Chloride combined, maybe 1000 people? Then of course that murder down off Gladiola and Gregg's. These people are crazy.

It's an unfortunate situation out there, the Sheriff really needs to do regular patrols 2 or 3 times a day down Gregg's Hideout. They do have a permanent deputy in Dolan now, so that's some improvement. I spoke with Deputies Loi and Williams and they seem like they actually care about the remote areas, unlike the last joker deputies who couldn't even be bothered to return my calls, emails, or investigate anything because they didn't want to make the long drive.

• Like 5

Jason

What an ordeal you have been through. Hopefully things will improve now. Maybe you will hit a rich patch and put some of this behind you.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 6