Is Bounty Hunter Tk4 Able To Detect Diamond?

Is this detector able to detect diamond? I am trying to find a diamond from a ring that fell out a number of years ago in my  garden. My friend Aberal Molzesman said in his blog tha it is possible.

Carbon in the form of diamond is an electrical insulator, so it cannot be detected by any electrical or magnetic device.

However, some diamonds can show phosphorescence. They will glow slightly if you shine an ultra-violet light at them.

• Like 3

I used to get asked a lot by people in Alaska if metal detectors can detect ivory. The name “metal detector” is a clue. Metal detectors can detect some things that are not metal however. They are electromagnetic devices working on principles related to alternator theory. They can be affected by anything that is either electrically conductive or has magnetic properties or both.

Saltwater is conductive so many metal detectors will conduct saltwater. The human body has a high salt content and is conductive, and very sensitive metal detectors will react to a hand held under the search coil. Many rocks and soils contain enough magnetic mineral content the affect a metal detector.

Diamonds neither conduct electricity or are magnetic and so unfortunately a metal detector can not help you. But as Pimento noted some do glow under an ultraviolet light and that might help. But many do not so that is not a sure fire solution either.

• Like 1

If you have a GIA report it should indicate fluorescence.

1. What is diamond fluorescence?

Fluorescence is the glow you sometimes see when an object emits visible light. Some diamonds fluoresce when they are exposed to ultraviolet (UV) rays from sources like the sun and fluorescent lamps. This can cause them to emit a bluish light or more rarely, a yellow or orangy light. Once the UV light source is removed, the diamond stops fluorescing.

2. Do all diamonds fluoresce? 

No. Only about 25% to 35% of diamonds exhibit some degree of fluorescence.

3. Is there a diamond fluorescence grade?

GIA considers diamond fluorescence an identifying characteristic. It is not a grading factor like the GIA 4Cs (color, clarity, cut, and carat weight). GIA Diamond Grading Reports and Diamond Dossiers describe a diamond’s fluorescence by its intensity (None, Faint, Medium, Strong and Very Strong) when compared to masterstones used in the lab. If the fluorescence is Medium, Strong, or Very Strong, the color of the fluorescence will be noted.

• Like 2

The only way that I have found a diamond from a ring was when I had used a laser and the light refracted through it like a prism. I had done it right at dusk before any dew had fallen on it and it was able to be found after about 30 minutes of looking.

Just a thought that you might try.