Customers Weekend Success, Over 1/4 Ozt.

Interesting. I am about --><--- that close to buying a GM 1000 and hanging up my GB2 finally. Now I'm giving some renewed thought to the EQ 800 again since I'd like to do some yard/abandoned homestead detecting again along with gold.

I'm guessing for hard rock type tiny stuff there is still no substitute for the GM 1000 though?

3 hours ago, jasong said:

Interesting. I am about --><--- that close to buying a GM 1000 and hanging up my GB2 finally. Now I'm giving some renewed thought to the EQ 800 again since I'd like to do some yard/abandoned homestead detecting again along with gold.

I'm guessing for hard rock type tiny stuff there is still no substitute for the GM 1000 though?

I guess my main comment there is that I don't see a real benefit going from a Gold Bug 2 to a Gold Monster when it comes to tiny gold. Hard to beat a Gold Bug 2 with 6" concentric for the tiny bits, and no knock sensitivity for scrubbing like you get with the Monster when you jack it all the way up.

• Like 3

The GM 1000 seemed to run a lot quicker over variable ground when I saw it in action and I'm ready to stop twisting knobs so much if i don't have to. Also seemed to be a little more sensitive despite being lower in frequency when I compared it to the GB2 on micro and disseminated stuff depending on the ground. Speed means a lot to me, figured it was time to upgrade since I'm using a vlf more these days than I used to.

• Like 1

I sold my GM1000 within a few weeks of using the equinox, sold my 20 year old GB2 a couple months later. My only complaint on the nox is the auto ground balance is too slow, even if it doesn't cause much noise if your sweep is smooth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasong said:

The GM 1000 seemed to run a lot quicker over variable ground when I saw it in action and I'm ready to stop twisting knobs so much if i don't have to. Also seemed to be a little more sensitive despite being lower in frequency when I compared it to the GB2 on micro and disseminated stuff depending on the ground. Speed means a lot to me, figured it was time to upgrade since I'm using a vlf more these days than I used to.

Well that part is true for sure, the GM having auto ground balance and even auto sensitivity. Long story short both my Bug and GM are gone and the Equinox still here. The GM is a good detector but the Equinox is just so crazy versatile....

• Like 2

Gerry,outstanding article,i can see that the small 6'' coil snagged the gold nuggets but what interested me more was the amazing ring haul was that also snagged with the 6'' coil as well or the 11'' coil.

The 6'' coil never comes off my Nox and although in theory the UK is not renown for gold nuggets but beach detecting is still a favourite pastime for many folks who live near the coast,as i live so far inland beach detecting is very infrequent for me,but as we are slowly being allowed back out again after strict lockdown regulations then i may take the Equinox and small coil back down to my fresh water ford crossing which has always been a haven for mums and kids during the summer months and yes you get it the young mums have grannies old high value lump of ice on her pinkies and they fall off into the cold water.The rings that i have found most have been handed back but some have been lost maybe decades ago and the owners or next of kin have moved away.

Once again great article.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RickUK said:

Gerry,outstanding article,i can see that the small 6'' coil snagged the gold nuggets but what interested me more was the amazing ring haul was that also snagged with the 6'' coil as well or the 11'' coil.

The 6'' coil never comes off my Nox and although in theory the UK is not renown for gold nuggets but beach detecting is still a favourite pastime for many folks who live near the coast,as i live so far inland beach detecting is very infrequent for me,but as we are slowly being allowed back out again after strict lockdown regulations then i may take the Equinox and small coil back down to my fresh water ford crossing which has always been a haven for mums and kids during the summer months and yes you get it the young mums have grannies old high value lump of ice on her pinkies and they fall off into the cold water.The rings that i have found most have been handed back but some have been lost maybe decades ago and the owners or next of kin have moved away.

Once again great article.

RickUK, We use the stock 11" coil for most of our water hunts as we need the depth.  I'm still praying someone makes a 10" Ellip for the NOX as I feel it will be a killer coil for gold nuggets, but also great in rocky beaches for gold rings, and also rough terrain for old coin/relic hunting.  This was my best ring on the last trip with the NOX.

Can1A.jpg

Can1B.jpg

20200302_161430a.jpg

20200302_162146.jpg

• Like 5