I'm not shy about it. Yup. I have big clumsy feet. The good news is it gives me stabilizing ballast should sobriety forsake me. The bad news is it's hell on GPZ 7000 lower shafts. I have broken several. To make matters worse, the lines of communication between my big feet and my small command and control center often get disrupted somewhere between my gullet and my gizzard which allows my big feet to proceed on a different heading than the rest of me. Oops, there goes another GPZ 7000 lower shaft. But I don't take full responsibility for all of these broken lower shafts. I don't recall ever breaking the good ol' GPX lower shaft and they fit at least 10 different detectors and cost less than half of a GPZ lower shaft. So I lay most of the blame at the feet of Minelab and not because of the feet of Klunker. The shaft is just plain flimsy. 

Being a "tight wad" by nature I have tried numerous times to repair a broken lower shaft using glues, epoxies, tape, splints and every flavor of bubble gum you can imagine. Nothing worked. I finally came up with the idea of totally replacing the lower end of the shaft and it work splendidly.

This was made from an inch and a quarter by 1 inch pvc plastic pipe tee, a fine toothed saw, a drill, a round file, a sander, a heat gun and a bit of good epoxy. 

This repair has held up for a couple of dozen trips and survived the icy conditions of early spring detecting, which is when my big feet are at their worst. If anyone is interested I will post instructions

DSCF0002.jpeg

• Like 9

Lolol.. I have noticed that my foot size keeps increasing the older I get. I used to wear a size 12 boot... I recently bought a pair of NB 12 sneakers and had to exchange them for size 13.... then had to change again to 14s and they are still to small.... I thought something is weird here... then I looked at the Reebok boots I wore in Australia that Goldhound Dale recommended and saw they were size 14!!!!

Maybe this is why I broke so many 705 shafts??? Or was that because I used them as walking sticks in Forest  Hill mountains????😂

Klunker,,,,the PVC fix is truly Californian🤓

• Like 1

Who did you buy the lower shaft from?  I would like a whole one with the clamp at the top.

Right you are and not as expensive as I thought it was going to be.