Garrett Apex Revealed - It’s Multifrequency!

Just said he expects $492 for the price with headphones.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-z-lynk-wireless-headphones.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex metal detector with Z-Lynk wireless headphones

• Like 1

Guys it takes more than a petty face to turn my head!

But we’ll see after a closer look by someone other than a company man.

Until then  

Chuck

• Like 2

Instant take on the Garrett Apex:

• Pros
    • Multi Freq (2 MF modes - Land and Salt)
    • 4 Multiple Single Freq 5 - 20 khz (perhaps a viable gold machine)
    • Light weight (2.5 lbs with stock coil)
    • Good Display/Large Numerical and coin type target ID/sleek housing
    • Multiple Search Modes
    • 8 level sensitivity setting
    • Ground Balance
    • Variable iron audio
    • Wireless
    • Rechargeable battery
    • Depth Meter
  • Cons
    • Not submersible but rainproof
    • Limited coil selection initially
    • Yet another proprietary wireless technology to deal with.
    • 5 tones only without adjustable tone breaks (I think)
    • No true all metal or threshold adjustment
    • Limited Disc/Notch segments vs. target ID range (20 notch segments, including 8 ferrous segments for 1-99 TID)
    • Modes don't appear to have recovery speed variations unlike Simplex and Vanquish.
  • We'll see
    • Future Accessory Coil selection (and will 3rd parties be in the mix, unlike ML's latest offerings, will concentric/coaxial coils/solid coils be offered?)
    • Actual retail pricing - not bad if it comes to pass as announced (i.e., mid $400's without Lynx Phones to just <$500 with wireless phones).
    • How good does their MF actually perform (it's not automatically good just because it is MF and this is Garrett's first iteration vs. Multi IQ being effectively ML's 4th generation MF iteration)
    • What is the actual recovery speed compared to fast detectors like the Equinox and Deus?
    • How good is the target ID stability, repeatability, and does it vary depending on frequency selected?
    • How well does it deal with EMI susceptibility?
    • Will it be software updateable?
  • Conclusion:  They hit the sweet spot that Vanquish missed.  Between the capable Nokta Simplex at $330 with wireless and $150 less than the waterproof 600 but with wireless phones included and additional single frequency options.  Vanquish missed out because no single freq included, also only rainproof, and has a fixed GB so if you compare the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack vs. Apex with wireless phones option you are trading off some added functionality in terms of modes, frequency selections, and ground balance in the case of the Apex vs. an extra coil with the Vanquish 540 PP (IMO - Garrett wins that one because you can always buy another accessory coil, but you can't buy a feature set upgrade).  It is a worthy competitor to Vanquish and will compete well with the Equinox 600 and should sell well.  Not to mention it has undercut from a price standpoint every multi-selectable single frequency machine out there (Equinox 600/800, Multi Kruzer, Amphibio, Orx, Impact, Tarsacci, Whites V series, and Deus).  I am pleased that Garrett is moving forward with Multi.  They beat Nokta to it and I never saw that coming.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-backlight.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex detector; backlight, rechargeable, wireless

• Like 7

I like it!! Look's like this may be the replacement for my AT Pro! And OMG!!  they are going to have more coils forthcoming! What a Novel  idea!! Will wonders never cease!!!🇺🇸🤯👍👍

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-lcd-display-controls.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex LCD display and controls

Can't wait to read your review Steve.............

I'm still good with the equipment I have (for now) but it's always fun to read about the new toys.

A little pricy??????? Seriously?

$500 bucks with wireless headphones is a heck of a deal .......

Now the real proof of value will be what we find out after it has been in the real world for a few months..... then we will see if this bird's gonna fly..........

One thing I don't care for is the sealed onboard battery..... I like having spare battery packs.....

• Like 3