Garrett Apex Revealed - It’s Multifrequency!

3 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

We can congratulate Garett on the new detector ,,, .. I think from hearing what the detectors say ...., the good news as well as the critical evaluations of the previous detector models .....

So what will Apex bring ....? Multifrequency, separate frequencies, large and backlit display, and a coil of very correct size 6x11 "- Apex=2.5lb  total low weight .....and good separation ...

At a price of $ 500 .. the price for such a detector is good ...

If someone says ..... something is still missing on this detector. such as waterproofing ... can wait for Apex Pro ....

Yes Garrett did a good job , the Apex weights around 1,1kg . They saved weight by using a thin control box with a li/ion battery well done …

Still a little heavier than a Deus/Orx  but very good … However the Apex shaft is outdated from what I can see , not collapsible, Strange that they did not propose something really new on this ...   

Concerning the electronics only the field tests will tell the truth , but it looks like a very interesting machine for sure ...

• Like 2

Well, no doubt Garrett has a huge hit on their hands. This versus a Vanquish I’d have to get this. Versus a 600 I’d probably get the 600, but that may be too much of a stretch money-wise for some people, and not everyone wants waterproof. Right now for under $500 this is a killer option. More like a not waterproof version of the Equinox than the Vanquish actually.

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 3

I like it. 

However, it is still a Garrett, and Garrett IS Garrett.   I wouldn't expect any special sauce in the different programs other than discrimination patterns.   Hopefully I'm wrong.  Just need an operating manual to set me up or down.

HH
Mike

• Like 3

I am truly impressed with the appearance and features of this new Apex. The Multi Frequency surprises me the most. They are not resting on their laurels riding out the single frequency train.

Actually think it looks good too, just enough to be interesting.  Rainproof not waterproof. I could live with that. This little morsel may help Garrett out a lot and secure their longevity in this cut-throat industry a little bit. Can see the the AT Line going Multi-Frequency also in the future. They "get it",  people want multiple frequencies. Seems Nokta/Makro firing a shot over the bow woke Garrett up!

I wish them the best with this and will wait a little bit to see how these things perform in the field. It MAY warrant me selling my T2 LTD and replacing it with this new Apex. Happy for Garrett, this looks really good.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, no doubt Garrett has a huge hit on their hands. This versus a Vanquish I’d have to get this.

It sure seems like they had the Vanquish square in their sites.  I'm glad Vaughn shares his father's desire for a good challenge.

Add my name to the growing list of posters who is pleasantly surprised after assuming they were going to underwhelm.  The AT/Max was a letdown, particularly after their teasing video of the guy hopping between boulders in the mountains with one.  But they've rebounded nicely.

There is at least one head-scratcher and its comparison/contrast with (some of) the competition:  The M/N Simplex is single frequency but waterproof.  The Apex Ace is multifrequency and as advertised, capable in salt water yet it (similar to its rival, the ML Vanquish) isn't waterproof.  I'm sure some will go ahead and get in the ocean/seas, as best they can keeping the control module above the water, but it seems kind of risky.

I realize it's providing a lot of bang for the buck, but (in a perfect world) I wonder why there is no minimally filtered motion ("all metal" in USA detector lingo) mode.  Of course it shares that with Vanquish and Equinox.  Is there something about simultaneous multi-frequency that makes providing this difficult?  Is that the next offering for one of the current and future players in the SMF game?

Great job with the video -- after their recent (50 year old rustly pickup...) tease videos I was a bit concerned.  Whether or not it outperforms the Vanquish, Garrett certainly (IMO) outshone ML with their advertisement video.

• Like 2

Like to see it in action in the field. Looks like they did hit a sweet spot for frequency choices for most areas and for coin and relic hunting. 5-20khz is better than the Nox 600. Not being fully waterproof is a bit of a downside but suppose it is top of the line Ace series. Not sure if the other Ace coils are compatible or not. Typically All AT series can use same coils and all Ace series can use same coils. Not sure if that is possible with the MF.

Going to point that machine out to buddy that uses a Max and struggles as well as another friend that uses an Ace and has been looking for an upgrade.

The adjustable Iron Audio is a major step for Garrett, something they have been hounded about for ages.

I suspect not too far off they will have a MF AT machine.

• Like 1

One thing people best be cautious about. It really is inevitable that a waterproof version of this will follow at some point. It is what the AT Max should have been. Who knows when it might happen, but some may buy this and then see the waterproof version later and wish they had waited. Maybe a fall release? Pure speculation, but multifrequency just screams for waterproofing for saltwater beach use and it has to be part of the plan.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

One thing people best be cautious about. It really is inevitable that a waterproof version of this will follow at some point. It is what the AT Max should have been. Who knows when it might happen, but some may buy this and then see the waterproof version later and wish they had waited. Maybe a fall release? Pure speculation, but multifrequency just screams for waterproofing for saltwater beach use and it has to be part of the plan.

Yes, it would make sense to have a waterproof high end version (maybe a gti replacement) come out in the relatively near future. Another high end multi-frequency metal detector apart from minelab and whites would be super interesting.

Another unrelated thing that I'm curious about is how many, and which frequencies the multo mode uses.