Garrett Apex Revealed - It’s Multifrequency!

3 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

They will sell a lot because they  know how to market a machine.

That they do. And if this ends up being as "good" as the Equinox, Minelab's gonna get a run for its money.

But then MInelab has some new products on the horizon in 2020, right?

This will be an interesting year...

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Garrett AT Gold is 18 kHz and the Fisher Gold Bug Pro is 19 kHz. 20 kHz is just fine for gold nuggets. Where it may come up short is the lack of a threshold based all metal mode. More likely Apex will employ a Multi or 20 kHz “zero discrimination” mode for nugget detecting.

So the 40Khz on the Nox are just an option for micro bits?

I'm also thinking to the Ctx pumping past marketing on the 1.5 to 100Khz range...🤔Clueless right?

I'm not a nugget finder is clear🤣

I like that they continued to use their good wireless module.  (not model specific) however, the 1/8 inch headphone jack will require an adapter for most headphones they've ever released. any word on the non-wireless headphones? 

Vote 10 for the style of the controlbox, I think that in ML they should hire a good stylist, as good to see Apex as not as ugly as is Vanquish.

The internal battery is a good choice, now it is unthinkable to stay with AA Nimh or alkaline batteries, even just for the physical size, litium is the future.

Perhaps some controls are missing such as reactivity and  range tone modification, and it is a pity that it no longer has the effect of the bell tone, the most beautiful thing in the ace250 series 🙂

Then if Apex on the field is better we will see it in a couple of months.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

They've had over two years to respond to Equinox and nothing so not sure this is going to spur them on either...not holding my breath.  Orx was nice but not innovative - just a watered down Deus to make it more affordable.  Otherwise, not sure what XP is doing, if anything other than new accessories and coils for the Deus platform.  Still just a single freaker when it comes down to it, a damn good one, but we are now 8 to 10 years on with the Deus platform and component iterations.  XP is desperately in need of a head turner release.  Well past time for them to step up.

The XPs Deus and ORx are still at the top concerning the weight , some figures below . However Garrett has done a great effort concerning the "sweeping ergonomy" with the Apex , thanks to them … 

Xp Orx                                       800g

Xp Deus                                    900g  

Garrett Apex                            1130g ( to be confirmed )

ML Vanquish 340 440 V10   1200g 

ML Vanquish 540 V12           1300g

ML Equinox 600/800 11'       1300g

Nokta Simplex+                      1400g

Teknetics T2                            1550g

ML CTX3030                            2360g

20 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

And now I'm curious ,, ... to some answers about the New Garrett Apex ... from the field testers of this detector ..

What advantages will this detector offer over the competition ...?

Well for me it is the feature set under $500... nothing else like it for the money. This is what a dry land Equinox could have been if Minelab were not afraid of undercutting Equinox sales. But Vanquish does sell for less. The progression on features and price is Vanquish > Apex > Equinox. Right now you can get multifrequency at almost any decent price point from $200 on up. Anyway, looks to me like Garrett perfectly hit the gap between Vanquish and Equinox.

garrett-ace-apex-multi-flex-selectable-frequency-metal-detector.jpg

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-backlight.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well for me it is the feature set under $500... nothing else like it for the money. This is what a dry land Equinox could have been if Minelab were not afraid of undercutting Equinox sales. But Vanquish does sell for less. The progression on features and price is Vanquish > Apex > Equinox. Right now you can get multifrequency at almost any decent price point from $200 on up. Anyway, looks to me like Garrett perfectly hit the gap between Vanquish and Equinox.

This is assuming that it performs comparatively to the minelabs though. Some actual field testing is required before that assumption can be made. I hope that it does perform at least as well as the minelabs, because then I have an excuse to get one 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coinhunterseth said:

This is assuming that it performs comparatively to the minelabs though. Some actual field testing is required before that assumption can be made. I hope that it does perform at least as well as the minelabs, because then I have an excuse to get one 🙂

Not really, it is assuming you get what you pay for and perhaps for $500 you don't get what you get for $649 or $899. If the idea is to get Equinox 800 or even Equinox 600 performance for under $500 - good luck.

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-multiflex-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 1

Beyond the tech, and who's detector is better at what pricepoint! It's just as important to build anticipation, introduce, and bring to market, all in an ordered and timely fashion! Screw any of these up; as we have seen from others! And the innovations don't mean a hill of beans!👍👍