Garrett Engineer Brent Weaver Discusses Ace Apex Technology

Garrett engineer Brent Weaver discusses the details of the new Garrett Ace Apex metal detector. Brent and I were both a lot younger last time I saw him! :smile:

Multi Frequency & Selectable Frequency Explained

Garrett Ace Apex Data & Reviews

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-multiflex-metal-detector.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex metal detector

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-metal-detector-lcd-display-controls.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex LCD display and controls

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am very impressed with the Apex Ace so far. I would definitely consider buying one. Even though it does not appear to have an All Metal mode or threshold tone for prospecting, with its discrimination modes it still would probably do very well in high mineralization, thick trash, salt water beaches and on tiny gold targets. Its faster recovery speed, 5 tones (which are very musically pleasing and don't have tritones and diminished 5ths for you musicians out there) and adjustable iron audio along with Multi Flex and wireless, hit all of my requirements for a decent modern detector. Garrett appears to have really upgraded their technology and their product which was long overdue.

I hunted today with my Equinox 600 using a trashy Park 1 US coin program and normal Park 2 behind two guys using AT Pros. We hunted the same area which was really full of aluminum trash and they walked over and missed so many targets........ I hunted for 2 hours, got 2 rings (one silver) and $5.53 in modern US clad change hunting right behind these two fairly good hunters. It's not me. It is the detector. Simultaneous multi frequency, multi tone audio which actually sounds good, iron volume adjustment, fast recovery speed, sensible notching, a really nice display screen and light weight ergonomics, really do make a difference when using the Equinox.

I like that Viper coil......come on Minelab, do that for the Equinox PLEASE......

I look forward to using the Apex soon. Now, which detector will I sell to make a place for it??????

• Like 8

Sounds like he said that multifrequency modes use the "entire range" of frequencies.  This is rather vague but is it possible this is what sets it apart (in terms of patenting) compared to some of ML's innovations?  Further, it's nice to hear an engineer say something like this rather than a marketer, although we really don't know (from the video) exactly what it means.  I like the way he emphasizes the ergonomic features.  Way overdue (compared to some competition), agreeing with Simon (aka Phrunt) that the S-shaft is a plus.  Simon, you didn't say anything about the grip, but I will.  If it feels as good as it looks, I'm a big fan.  One other plus, IMO, is that the display&control module sits right on the shaft, not elevated.  Although I'm not as bothered by detectors tipping over as some detectorists, I bet it takes a lot to cause this one to do that.  Garrett's 'flat-spotted' coils already add to that stability.

Oh, and FWIW, I think this is a really good looking detector.

ace-apex-garrett-metal-detector-multifrequency.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It's like they directly responded to my "black eye if the pinnacle of what they can make is another Ace" statement 🙂

Although this detector is pretty cool I can't wait to see what they come out with to be the pinnacle of the AT Series.... they now have the technology to build on to replace that with something pretty special, and there is no way it will be long until it hits the market as they can't let the Ace series new leader be better than their flagship.  I'll wait for that before I get myself a new toy.

Good on you Garrett.

I am happy for Garrett. Lot of innovations at the entry level, eg Simplex, Vanquish and the Apex. I agree with Phrunt that the AP pro Apex will be next. But good strategy to go the Ace Apex first. Lots of people buying first time detectors these days. And guess what you start with a good Garrett Ace detector you are likely to upgrade to the AT Pro (or new when released AT Pro Apex.) Just based on the features and design, i probably would pick the Apex over my Vanquish 540. Still like the 540 because of same tones and TID's as my 800.

but good to see Garrett wake up and respond to the Vanquish and Simplex.

They said they have sold over 1, 000,000 Ace metal detectors. Not many detector companies can  say that about a particular series.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

(which are very musically pleasing and don't have tritones and diminished 5ths for you musicians out there

I heard that too. I didn't understand the musical theory behind why the tones were pleasurable, but I certainly noticed that during the video.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's like they directly responded to my "black eye if the pinnacle of what they can make is another Ace" statement 🙂

Although this detector is pretty cool I can't wait to see what they come out with to be the pinnacle of the AT Series.... they now have the technology to build on to replace that with something pretty special, and there is no way it will be long until it hits the market as they can't let the Ace series new leader be better than their flagship.  I'll wait for that before I get myself a new toy.

Good on you Garrett.

Simon,ask Garrett to send you a machine to test in your famous coin fields.With over 57,000 views your a big hit.Do a video  and you  would        get  a big response.

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I would definitely consider buying one. Even though it does not appear to have an All Metal mode or threshold tone for prospecting, with its discrimination modes it still would probably do very well in high mineralization, thick trash, salt water beaches and on tiny gold targets.

Very similar to the Equinox 600 which is also lacking these features but which has proven itself to be adept at finding bits.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Its faster recovery speed

That is still a TBD as far as I'm concerned (see my Apex Pro/Cons/We'll See rackhout here).  Garrett has been putting that same statement in all their AT Series spec rackouts: "Fast recovery speed...check" and we know what the real truth is.  You just posted about it...

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Now, which detector will I sell to make a place for it??????

Pending field reviews for the Apex, likely getting rid of my Vanquish.  Apex addressed all my significant Vanquish shortcomings  - no ground balance/flawed no disc mode (not a fan of having to do the custom disc workaround, especially with only one custom mode slot) and lack of a single frequency option.  I still need to have a chance to test Vanquish at the beach.  Vanquish does bang on high and mid conductors hard but has a flawed tone break that causes pull tabs to come in at the second highest tone break - annoying.  And I know Garrett and third parties will likely provide some excellent accessory coil options well beyond the 3 available for Vanquish, as good as they may be.

• Like 3

I haven't used a 5 tone Vanquish yet. On the three tone Vanquish the tone breaks are just right for US coins. I would need to study exactly where the tone breaks happen in each mode on the Apex, assuming they may be different in some of the modes.  Vanquish 340 may have to go☹️

The recovery speed/audio in the demonstration seemed to me to be much faster than the previous Ace series detectors I have used and also faster than my former OMG AT Gold which had the worst possible combination of poor drawn out audio responses and recovery speed that I have ever used. Made some of my former Whites detectors (which were admittedly slow) seem fast by comparison especially in a field full of hot rocks=AT "Gold", give me a break................

Jeff

• Like 2

What is everyone's take on having US and International coinage on one machine??? Other than the obvious savings on two detectors!!

Is this simply a function of software?; so any manufacturer can do this; to compete with the Apex?? Or is there a hardware component???

I'm glad they used a better grip!  I hope the arm cuff is aluminum this time, the plastic one's always snap off on me, no matter the manufacturer! (water use puts a lot of strain on the cuffs)👍👍

• Like 1