Garrett Engineer Brent Weaver Discusses Ace Apex Technology

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Honestly Monte, there is nothing “Ace” about this detector but the name. It’s a completely new detector.

Steve, to a point I am talking in generalities because they positioned this in the Ace series, and we can only expect an upscale follow-up for the AT series.  I have repeatedly stated I like the 'package' and grip used, the control housing looks great and the display's VDI is larger and easier-to-see.  Also, time and time again in almost each post I have stated that we don't really know about the design, if they made any software differences between modes with regard to recovery speed, etc., etc.

I've also said that I really hope they have made some improvements over the Ace line, but until we use it, we won't know.  But I did listen to the audio behavior when they sampled some targets,  and I have several friends who did the same and then contacted me about what they heard.  I note that at about 1:05 into Brent weaver's video he said the Apex is a 'totally new design."  I noticed that when he sampled a coin and an iron nail in the video, the Nil had more of that Garrett Iron Audio 'ring-time' to it that was a bit drawn-out or delayed recovery.

I had an Ace 400 and we have used the T Gold and AT Max with that Iron Audio in the very ferrous contaminated sites and using that Iron Audio response was terrible.  It needs to b a quicker response at a low tone like a T2 or CoRe or Relic or MXT Pro.  As I have also stated several times, I have been thinning out some detectors and have made room on my wall for an APEX, which will be used at times where it can work well with that 6X11 Viper coil.  It will see regular travel and regular everyday use once they get a couple of good smaller-size coils on the market for it.  Needed to work most of the challenging sites I hunt.

Monte

• Like 7

Thanks, Steve.   

It was an informative video.  

Garrett has entered the realm of Whites and Minelab by being able to offer full spectrum detection along with the individual frequency selections that make up that spectrum.   Interesting that Garret directly states it's Multi-Flex mode operates throughout the whole 4 frequency spectrum of the Apex.  Glad to see none of the Minelab Equinox smoke and mirror advertising at work here. 

I wonder how they managed the battery drain of running all 4 frequency at once?  

Much more attractive than the Vanquish series.  Minelab fumbled there as I'm sure the Nokta/Makro full band spectrum offering will also look more modern than the Vanquished when it's released. 

I'm sure 1st Texas Products is working on a selectable with full band spectrum unit as well since that is the new direction of general purpose models.

HH

Mike

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm sure 1st Texas Products is working on a selectable with full band spectrum unit as well

That's funny!

1 hour ago, Mike Hillis said:

Interesting that Garret directly states it's Multi-Flex mode operates throughout the whole 5 frequency spectrum of the Apex. 

Unless I missed it, they never actually say that if you listen closely.  They only say it "simultaneously transmits across the entire spectrum of frequencies" (unpecified) or use vague terms like "the broad range of simultaneous frequencies".  It is also not specified in any of the literature they have released so far.  And frankly, this is exactly what I would expect them to say (and not say).  In fact, it would be ill advised of them to actually say how many they actually transmit simultaneously or that the four (not 5) individual frequency components are contained or comprised within their "full spectrum" Multiflex implementation to keep from being boxed in by naysayers, inadvertently reveal a trade secret, or to open themselves up to litigation.  Frankly is not important how many they transmit as long as they combine at least two that results in harmonics to cover the desired range and to get the desired performance effect.  For the same reasons, ML was also vague, but they also tried to clumsily "sell" the technology by implying things that were not precisely scientifically accurate and subject to multiple interpretations.  Garretts approach is still vague but cleaner.

1 hour ago, Mike Hillis said:

I wonder how they managed the battery drain of running all 5 frequency at once?  

They probably didn't.  Carl can explain why doing that is technically 1) challenging and 2) unnecessary.  Again, its 4 individual frequencies.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve, Chase and Carl for giving great explanations on recovery speed, reactivity, target separation, VSAT/SAT, Autotune and multi frequency ratios. I learn so much whenever I read your posts. The newer gold prospecting detectors seem to have almost hybrid or mixed mode operation in their "Gold" modes like the Deus/Orx and Equinox having adjustable reactivity or recovery speed. I get confused...........which is nothing new.

Jeff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm sure 1st Texas Products is working on a selectable with full band spectrum unit as well since that is the new direction of general purpose models.

HH

Mike

Yesterday I caught some info ... but nothing specific...

3 hours ago, Geotech said:

Mostly unnecessary. Two frequencies help but only if they are spaced far enough apart. The CZ was 1:3, the DFX was 1:5, BBS/FBS is 1:8, V3 is 1:3:9. 1:3 is marginally minimum, higher is better. Honestly, the V3 would probably have been better without the middle frequency. The main reason for it was to perform zero-motion disc, a feature that never made it to production.

With 5, 10, 15, and 20 kHz, 5+20 (1:4) makes the most sense, although 5+15 might be a little more stable in salt. It would not make sense to throw in e.g. 10kHz as there is practically no additional useful information and it marginally reduces depth.

Greetings Mr. Carl .... your posts are as accurate and very informative as always .... I always had some idea that the possibilities of Spectra V3 could be much larger ... and that this machine works maybe 70% of its possibilities .. ..

I always wanted that ..... the new Spectra V4 also had a 15khz frequency, and the user could choose 2-3 frequencies from 4 frequencies 2.5khz -7.5khz-15khz-22.5khz ... depending on the terrain and what type detection is exactly preferred ... also in terms of better separation on multifrequency and EMI resistance ..

The Best data function could also be more adjustable ....

No-Motion mode with ID would be an excellent feature on this detector ...

• Like 3

Looks like they use the same shaft as the AT series so I would guess Steve's Custom Shafts would fit it. Be a cool carbon fiber option.

• Like 4