I went to a local rec center today for 1 1/2 hours. The soccer fields were closed due to chemical sprays, so I decide to hunt around the other areas I haven't hit before. On the big field I generally find very little, so I assume it really gets pounded. I still had the 11" coil on the Equinox from beach detecting, so it felt like an Exacto knife rather than the sword-like 15". 

Right off the bat I started hitting quarters. It seemed like I couldn't take 10 steps without hitting another. My initial goal was to search for signals in the 5-13 range. I couldn't do that due to the overwhelming amount of change in the ground. Not complaining, just amazed at how much was in the ground there. Although 42 quarters came out of the ground, I left a good amount behind so I can take my friend who is just getting into detecting. He will have a blast if his knees can handle it.

I bet I covered about 10% of the ground so far. I left close to 20 dimes in the ground just because my legs were feeling it, I was being selective, and Florida's state bird was starting to suck my blood. I was using Park 1, ground balanced, 13 sensitivity (lots of interference initially), all metal, and 7 recovery.

IMG_20200515_220510.jpg

• Like 6

Were you digging all coin TID signals?  If so then something special must have been going on here for your finds to be dominated by quarters.  Obviously these have been in the ground for a while given their color.  I'm wondering if there was some kind of carnival where all rides/activities cost a quarter.  There's a schoolyard I've hunted which has produced quite a few quarters (but not 42 in 1.5 hours...) that I suspected someone had conducted an Easter Egg hunt but hid quarters instead of eggs.  Just another WAG on my part.  I hope once you get the annoying modern coins swept up the real goodies start revealing themselves.  And hopefully you can turn the sens up higher than 13.  BTW, try turning down the recovery speed -- that should help dealing with EMI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

BTW, try turning down the recovery speed -- that should help dealing with EMI.

I was unaware of this being a solution! Thanks for the information. 

I was detecting along the sidewalk leading to an alternate entrance and in the grass around the entrance. There is a pool, and I think kids must wait there before it opens and sit on the grass. In total, I would guess the amount of grass I detected was about the size of a tennis court, maybe less. It was enjoyable, but moving a 6'3" frame up and down that many times in a short period of time in the heat of Florida is getting tougher as time goes on!

• Like 1

25% deet won't deter those state birds?

• Like 1

Could be no one dug that in a while. I have 3 fields that are loaded with clad and most of it is dimes and quarters. I have used all 3 of my machines and had same results on those fields. Sometimes I get a nice silver in the mix, guess kids are fussy with what they drop when it comes to lunch money.

You may want to go over the area perpendicular once you pull those out and will probably find more.

Good haul and great exercise on the knees!

I use permethrin spray on my shoes to keep ticks away and have  a hat sprayed with it for the flying insects. Lasts for about a month and keeps the bugs away. It stays on your clothes not skin. Repel, Coleman and others sell it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quarters I love Quarters!!!! They help pay for the adventure. I have snagged about 6 to 10 every trip out. When the days get rough you will wish you could find some George coinage Ha Ha 

Damn I hate mosquitoes, Horrible blood suckers🤕

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dogodog said:

When the days get rough you will wish you could find some George coinage Ha Ha

Don't worry, I'm stashing it away a little at a time. Soon, however, I'll have to cash it it for Amazon credit so I have some room on my shelves.

15896659858172270839695657449800.jpg

• Haha 1

your collection looks like mine, If I could just fill one with rings I'd be in business.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogodog said:

your collection looks like mine, If I could just fill one with rings I'd be in business.

There are lots of tutorials about how to make those quarters into rings. So, you kind of have the potential for one filled with rings!

• Like 1