Garrett Apex - Patent Pending

i wonder if i could be using the improved fbs technology.  I think that Minelab would not have to pay anything if it were.  I wouldn't mind buying an Apex knowing that the multi-frequency it uses is fbs with some improvements and light weight having an equinox.  We all know how well that technology has behaved, especially on the beach

56 minutes ago, Luis said:

i wonder if i could be using the improved fbs technology.  I think that Minelab would not have to pay anything if it were.  I wouldn't mind buying an Apex knowing that the multi-frequency it uses is fbs with some improvements and light weight having an equinox.  We all know how well that technology has behaved, especially on the beach

FBS is a Minelab generational multifrequency implementation and marketing buzzword.  Doubt Garrett is directly using a ML implementation of MF.  I probably is just as Carl has surmised analog demodulation of the target signal vs. digital direct sampling.

52 minutes ago, Luis said:

I don't understand -- you mean "Garrett would not have to pay anything..."

Given that Minelab won't even cooperate with its loyal customers/users (e.g. provide the coils they want) it seems completely inconsistent that they would collaborate with a direct competitor which is introducing a detector that is aimed at taking market share away from their latest release (aka Vanquish).  Are people really suggesting that as a possibility?

• Like 1

Patents if I'm not mistaken at 25 years old have to be released.  I think that is the case.  I have no doubt which garrett has come up with his own technology.  It's just another way of looking at it since there's been speculation about the patent

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luis said:

Patents if I'm not mistaken at 25 years old have to be released.  I think that is the case.  I have no doubt which garrett has come up with his own technology.  It's just another way of looking at it since there's been speculation about the patent

In the US it is 20 years for a Utility (process, system, machine) patent and 14 years for a Design (look, feel) patent.

That is something that has puzzled me for some time. Certainly the Minelab MPS pulse patents and original BBS multifrequency patents have expired. The old Fisher CZ also. But so far no knockoff versions from anyone. Unless as Luis speculates Apex is somehow related to the old Minelab patents. But I doubt it. There are no doubt many ways to skin this cat with new signal processing technology.

31 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Given that Minelab won't even cooperate with its loyal customers/users (e.g. provide the coils they want) it seems completely inconsistent that they would collaborate with a direct competitor which is introducing a detector that is aimed at taking market share away from their latest release (aka Vanquish).  Are people really suggesting that as a possibility?

ML (Codan) will cooperate with anyone who will give them a sound business proposition (like licensing technology) they can convince their stockholders is in the best interest of the company.

But, yeah, it is unlikely that ML and Garrett are cooperating here for the reasons you cite.  In fact, it is almost like Garrett is trolling ML on this design (the frequency choices, the eye rolling whenever they mention "slow bluetooth wireless technology" which is really just disingenuous if you have any knowledge of what ML is actually doing there with APTX LL, and ribbing their competition on cheesy promotional material - while doing the same thing themselves) and know full well that for whatever reason ML probably can't do anything about it.  I am sure they have studied Whites DFX deal and the recently settled lawsuits between XP and ML and are savvy enough to know just how to navigate the Intellectual Property minefield because ML has shown its hand before regarding litigation.  If that is actually the case, then I have some newfound respect for Garrett.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

If that is actually the case, then I have some newfound respect for Garrett

This single introduction just reaffirmed Garrett’s position not as an industry laggard, but industry leader. You can debate detector technology all you want, but there is no doubt in my mind the stage is set for there to be an expectation that a 21st century detector offer lightweight, ergonomic designs, packed with frequency options, wireless technology, and rechargeable batteries. Any company not producing similar devices risks getting left behind.

garrett-ace-apex-multifrequency-metal-detector-multiflex.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex metal detector

• Like 4