Garrett Apex - Patent Pending

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Given that Minelab won't even cooperate with its loyal customers/users (e.g. provide the coils they want) it seems completely inconsistent that they would collaborate with a direct competitor which is introducing a detector that is aimed at taking market share away from their latest release (aka Vanquish).  Are people really suggesting that as a possibility?

Yes, at least I have made that suggestion. If I had to bet money, would I say that's what's going on here? No, but unless we get an official statement saying otherwise, I will assume it's possible.

Has there been any footage of the actual machine n use yet?...

If not All is speculation.......

31 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

Has there been any footage of the actual machine n use yet?...

If not All is speculation.......

You mean you didn't catch those awesome rusty pickup truck promo videos :laugh:

Brent Weaver passed some targets over the coil to demonstrate the 5-tone audio, so it appears to at least detect metal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well thats a good start......:biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

You've hit the nail on the head Steve. When I saw the moniker given to it and the frequencies chosen I said to myself, hmm this sounds very familiar. It could be a smart move either way. In a lawsuit Minelab would have to detail exactly what Multi-IQ consists of to demonstrate it is a violation. If Geotech is correct, that's one of the last things they want to do. It boxes them into a corner with some undesirable options. On one hand they could preclude a competing platform (or receive a cut of it). On another, they might have to reveal that Multi-IQ is notably different in substance than described to the public and as it appears on paper. Who knows though, maybe Garrett and Minelab have a lease agreement like Whites and Minelab had for DFX. Unlikely I'd say. In any event we could very possibly see a lawsuit crop up over this. Something to watch for. 

If Minelab has the patent, the way it works is public. When you apply for a patent you can request it not be made public, but only until the patent is issued. Once the patent takes effect, the application, including the operating theory, become public.

Jim

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If anyone thought I was implying Garrett was violating a patent, that is certainly not my intent. Just the opposite, I was noting that there is a “Patent Pending” statement and the likely thing to deduce from that is Garrett has developed a method they think they can patent. And therefore not something in violation of a Minelab patent. Though the patent pending could also have nothing to do with multifrequency at all. Only Garrett knows for sure. Frankly, all I care about is how the detector performs, so did not anticipate my throwaway comment would trigger so much debate. I should have known better. I’m sure there will be reams of speculation on which method does what, frequencies in use, how the atoms rotate, etc. etc. :smile:

Thank you for your thoughts on this Carl.

garrett-multiflex-multifrequency-selectable-frequency-technology.jpg

They could also have applied for a "provisional" patent, which confers no legal protection. It simply locks in your date, so when you apply for a regular patent, the date is the date the Provisional was applied for. But, having the Provisional allows you to put "Patent Pending" on your products. A Provisional is only good for 1 year. A Provisional is cheap, and much easier to obtain.

Jim

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 6:37 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

They either violated Minelab’s patent, in which case the lawsuit hits soon, or they came up with a different version of their own... and would be smart to patent it.

It has a lot of similarity to the Nox and Vanquish . But Multi Flex could be a version of the V. Flex tech in the Terra ?

The Terra can use 3 different frequencies in its coils , maybe now the Terra patents have run out ?? they have worked a new Multi Freq machine from that ?

Anyway at £500 UK it is much cheaper than the Nox and similar capability barring a few settings and the same price as and better settings than the Vanquish . I think Minelab may have either opened Pandora's box or left it open for all to see. 

Surely this Apex isn't a poach of the Nox Patent or has it run out already ? But if so then why didn't anyone jump on the FBS tech when its patents ran out ? Or have they ?

Anyway I have to say that this Garrett is the first normal Garrett that I have seen that could be a machine I would want so I have ordered one. 

Worth a browse !

• Like 1