1 hour ago, Go Ducks said:

so, coin hunters want lots of iron bias, jewelry hunters want little-to-none?

Why do you say that?  Whether iron bias is used depends on the nuisance factor of iron at a given site regardless of the target objective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go Ducks said:

so, coin hunters want lots of iron bias, jewelry hunters want little-to-none?

I’m not sure it’s really a jewelry or coin thing, though beach hunters can get frustrated with bottle caps. To me it is more a personal preference setting having to do with each persons tolerance for trash. When I started as a prototype tester for Equinox there was no iron bias. It got added later. Most iron targets reveal using 50 tones and so I kind of cut my teeth on 50 tones and no iron bias. I really have no use for it except for rare circumstances and as a rule set it for zero unless I forget and am using a mode that has reverted to a preset that has some iron bias dialed in. I also have a high tolerance for trash targets.

Other people do not like 50 tones as too busy, but fewer tones forces targets into a handful of tone responses so ferrous tends to fake you out more. Or people just hate digging trash, period. So they opt for higher iron bias settings. There is nothing at all wrong with that. This is supposed to be something we do for fun, and if iron makes you miserable, find the setting that works best for you.

minelab-equinox-800-iron-bias-fe-vs-new-f2-settings.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

priest

Relying on God are we Steve?  haha

(For those of you who wonder about this post, when Steve wrote his post above he inadvertently or overtly said "priest" rather than preset.)

I do think some of us have prayed and or pray before each hunt but to think of the God 'preset' was a chuckle.

• Haha 3

Steve is right in my book.  50 tones and sometimes 5 and I turn up the volume on iron which helps me hear both of the targets or the iffys which start out as negative.

• Like 1

Steve - Your graph makes it much easier for the novice to understand the differences between the two. I've been trying to explain it using words. The graph makes it much clearer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tom Slick said:

Steve - Your graph makes it much easier for the novice to understand the differences between the two. I've been trying to explain it using words. The graph makes it much clearer.

Agree, that's why I linked to it in my original post. But I guess people don't want have to plow through words just to get to the pictures. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

But I guess people don't want have to plow through words just to get to the pictures. 

I agree with you Chase, and I am sometimes guilty of it also. The more that I have been on here the more I understand to actually read the links that people post on  here. That way I can find the answers I am looking for.

Chase, If someone asks a question, I just try to answer if I can. I don't usually tell them to go look somewhere else. My bad. 

i don

2 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Chase, If someone asks a question, I just try to answer if I can. I don't usually tell them to go look somewhere else. My bad. 

I like to just answer the question also, in detail, and that's what I did when Luke first asked so I thought just point him back to that detailed post rather than regurgitating it all again.  Just easier that way.  No biggie..  Then everything I wrote and linked to in that old post just starts trickling back here and I think to myself, why did I bother, was my post invisible?  I was just trying to save time not just for myself but for everyone else.  Anyway, sorry to vent.  I shouldn't complain since all the good information got re-posted and that isn't necessarily a bad thing especially for new folks who happened on by.  Moving on and sorry everybody about the rant.