Garrett Ace Apex Versus Minelab Vanquish 540

22 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:
    • In my case, relic hunting in thick iron and mineralized soils, I find that single frequency tends to perform better for me.  For one, it ensures I am hitting on a frequency reasonably optimal for the mid-conductive relics I seek (brass buttons and buckles and lead projectiles) and it it eliminates the low frequency components that tend to hit harder on buried iron targets.  Even though Equinox has single frequency options, I still tend to favor my Deus or Orx for relic hunting  because the Deus/Orx provides better audio modulation than Equinox (I do like to occasionally switch back and use Equinox Gold mode because of the VCO like audio).  MultiF as implemented on the Equinox does provide target ID at depth better than single Frequency in mineralized soils, but the advantage is marginal.  I bring both Equinox and Deus to my relic hunts.
  •  

In fact this is what I was going to answer to Steve , If I had to use a single freq on a given area containing bricks , hot rocks , ferrrous I would switch to my Deus HF , because of its very efficient audio on such difficult areas .  

Yes I agree with Steves "For me the single frequencies are more useful for what they do not detect than what they detect".  Using an Equinox at 5khz will probably be interesting for searching big targets ( cache Hunting for example )  , because it éliminates small undesirable targets .

10 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Pal,

Similar reasons as Steve - 

• As Steve says - there are situations where EMI dominates the MultiF modes and a single frequency option can often resolve this.
  • In my case, relic hunting in thick iron and mineralized soils, I find that single frequency tends to perform better for me.  For one, it ensures I am hitting on a frequency reasonably optimal for the mid-conductive relics I seek (brass buttons and buckles and lead projectiles) and it it eliminates the low frequency components that tend to hit harder on buried iron targets.  Even though Equinox has single frequency options, I still tend to favor my Deus or Orx for relic hunting  because the Deus/Orx provides better audio modulation than Equinox (I do like to occasionally switch back and use Equinox Gold mode because of the VCO like audio).  MultiF as implemented on the Equinox does provide target ID at depth better than single Frequency in mineralized soils, but the advantage is marginal.  I bring both Equinox and Deus to my relic hunts.  Also have similar success on coke and coal in farm fields that were tended by steam engine tractors.
  • I have found the main advantage of Multi F on a salt beach or when hunting in mild soil conditions without thick iron junk.
  • Some users have reported that operating at 10 or 15 khz single helps with better IDing of non-ferrous junk like aluminum can slaw.

This is a great quote and pretty much sums it up.

I like having the  single frequency options.In my basement with a 1/10 grain  piece of gold I found   sniping in upstate NY I could not hear it in mf because of the emi. When I   turned  down the sensitivity to make it stable it would not pick it up  . I  then put it 40 kz. and it picked it up no problem at the 3/4 inch   mark  at a setting of 24  . In one spot on a  certain part of a hill the emi was very bad I could not use it in park 1.I then put it in 5kz. and it  was stable enough that I was able to find a couple of Indians.I like having the options.  . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

In fact this is what I was going to answer to Steve , If I had to use a single freq on a given area containing bricks , hot rocks , ferrrous I would switch to my Deus HF , because of its very efficient audio on such difficult areas .  

You ask, people answer, then you argue with the answers. A waste of my time even bothering, but hopefully somebody else will find the information useful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You ask, people answer, then you argue with the answers. A waste of my time even bothering, but hopefully somebody else will find the information useful.

🙁 ..

Actually my monofreq initial question was asked to Chase … I understand that you Steve spend a lot of time answering to all the questions to all these people with over 13000 posts since 2013. Actually I wonder how you succeed to manage all these things in this forum .. 🙂

I never required any answer from anybody in this forum. If it takes too much time or bothering or whatever , just do not answer .  And If I can help by answering to others questions , I will continue , unless you do not want it ..

Just do not want to bother anyone ...

Monofrequency is one of the secret weapons of Equinox ...:wink:

• Like 1

Operating frequency has characteristics for both reactivity and discrimination problem solution.

I'll often use 2.5 kHz on the V3 to ignore or limit paper foil response when I'm am hunting through a high layer of surface trash on athletic fields.  It behaves like a density check as a certain level of density is required for a good surface eddy current at 2.5 kHz.   

5 kHz is still a bit high for a density check, though.

HH
Mike

• Like 4

On 5/16/2020 at 5:58 PM, phrunt said:

There sure is a lot of similarities, a little too many really.  I do prefer the screen on the Apex, the Vanquish screen is very cheap.  It's the same sort of dodgy screen that was used on my T2 and Gold Bug Pro.

The Garrett looks to have more of a quality screen build with the hard plastic. I prefer the bigger screen too.  Minelab might regret making the Vanquish in the Ace style housing now as I can't imagine the Ace series hanging around too much longer in it's current form.  They will just release various versions of the Apex to take the positions of the Ace models.  The big question now is how good is Multi-Flex on Target ID's as for a coin detector that's the most important thing for me.

They're going to have to make an Ace Apex international to get rid of the US coins on the screen, they had to do it with the Ace series too.  Minelab didn't put any particular countries coins ID's on the screen, people in other countries don't want to see US coins on their screen.

right that's what i want to know too! how accurate when detecting in the "crap" will this detector be!
is it 'fast" enough to lock on with "proper" id, and recover from target to target.will it give you enough info 
from tones and/or id to make the digging decision in the trash! if it does this well, then its a genuine competitor for the 
600/800 series at a really good price point.to be honest!..if it's NOT! then, in my view, it's a "waste" of money for a "multi-freak!"

(h.h.!)

j.t.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, phrunt said:

At the moment I'm testing 5kHz on small silvers, I'm going over ground I've done in Multi-IQ to see if It picks up anything I've missed.  If 5kHz was better than Multi for small deep silvers surely I'd find at least one in a place that I found over 100 silvers, so far it's not proving to be the case.  For me switching to single frequencies has mostly been beneficial in high EMI areas, otherwise I've found no benefits to it so far personally.  I'll try again on the 5kHz silvers today.

In my experience with low freq mostly on the ML Advantage,  you need a bigger than stock coil for any real advantage on silver of any size.  I had the WOT coil on that machine and it was DEEP!

If you have one, put on the 15"er when you using 5Khz..

I'll have to edit that and add I was referring to US silver coins which are not what many on here consider small silver.

• Like 1

Phrunt The big coil might improve the Nox's already good performance on on-edge coins to a greater degree.  Just a hunch.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:27 PM, phrunt said:

At the moment I'm testing 5kHz on small silvers, I'm going over ground I've done in Multi-IQ to see if It picks up anything I've missed.  If 5kHz was better than Multi for small deep silvers surely I'd find at least one in a place that I found over 100 silvers, so far it's not proving to be the case.  For me switching to single frequencies has mostly been beneficial in high EMI areas, otherwise I've found no benefits to it so far personally.  I'll try again on the 5kHz silvers today.

From what I saw on my test boxes and on the field, 5khz is optimal only for big coins/conductors , say 10grams or more.  I do not know the weight of your silvers , but for coins of 5grams or below ,higher freq like 10, 15khz will be better than 5khz. This is the reason why I like the MultiIQ because the machine does automatically the job for you scanning all the freqs … 

I like the MultiIQ because even if I do not find any big coin  , the machine will  manage to find a small nice thing so that I am always happy at the end of the day …   🙂