Garrett Ace Apex Versus Minelab Vanquish 540

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

People seem to have incredible confidence in the Apex long before it's even released by seeing a picture.

I know Brent Weaver and what he is capable of. Yes, I have confidence in the detector. The other issues are up to the marketing folks, and I put far less store in the marketers than the engineers. In their defense however replacing a detector lineup without undermining existing sales is a tricky business. Releasing a complete lineup at once would be best, but pressure from competition may be forcing the issue ahead of a picture perfect scenario.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phrunt said:

eople seem to have incredible confidence in the Apex long before it's even released by seeing a picture.  While I don't share their enthusiasm as there has to be a reason they've put it at the Ace series level, why not make their first multi frequency detector their flagslip?  Something fishy is going on.   I'm puzzled by this.

It actually makes perfect sense to introduce this tech by dipping your toe in the water with a lower level detector.  Expectations are lower at this level, people are more willing to risk the cash vs. a higher level detector, and they left plenty of room to add features and raise the price point.  Frankly, Minelab is the one who did it backwards.  It should have been Vanquish then Equinox, except that would have been a HUGE step down from where MF resided previously - i.e., only existing in the stratosphere of $1000+ dolllar detectors.  That is why Equinox was such as shock wave.  Now that the market has seen that MF can be done successfully at a reasonable price point, it doesn't make sense for Garrett to risk a potential flop at the flagship level.  ML actually, unwittingly, set the table up perfectly for Garrett, by enabling them to slide in at this level with both the Equinox and subsequently with the Vanquish releases.  Besides, releasing Multi Flex in a flagship would have forced Garrett to go head to head against Equinox and they may not be ready for that cage match, yet.  The capable, yet flawed Vanquish is a much easier target to eclipse and to exploit from a marketing perspective (the "slow" wireless bluetooth, the lack of ground balancing, only 50 TIDs, AA batteries, clunky, non-weather-tight housing, no single frequency option...). 

Also, even if Multi Flex is not all that compared to Multi IQ, I suspect it will result in a perfectly capable and stable beach detector (the main benefit of MF) which is a huge improvement over anything Garrett currently has going.  Barring even that modest level of success, the fact is that no multiple selectable single frequency machine exists anywhere at the Apex price point.  Pretty hard to screw that up, so as a minimum, it still should easily be a success.  I have extreme confidence in it.  Do I think it Multi Flex will be Better than Multi IQ - probably not, but then again at $150 less than the Equinox 600 including wireless headphones, it really doesn't have to be in order to be considered a success.  BTW - it was not just "a picture".  There was video of it operating, albeit in a benchtop air test manner, by Brent Weaver.  We should see the Gypsy Jewels Garrett influencer videos soon enough.

• Like 3

People seem to forget Garrett is one of the most successful companies in the industry, time and again making products that leave their competition flat footed and dreaming for years. Ace was the Equinox of its day, possibly the best-selling series ever. Look how long it took Minelab to respond to the AT series with Equinox. Garrett literally defined what all terrain means with the AT series. Yes, Equinox rocked, but not until after Garrett ruled that arena for many years. The Garrett pinpointers redefined that market, to the tune of endless copycats. I’d posit they have done proprietary wireless better than anyone. Anyone that thinks their units do not perform has not given them a fair go. Frankly, they are the quiet company that us flagship nerds tend to overlook as they sell huge numbers of mid-range detectors and define detecting for a large portion of the U.S. market at least. They have deep pockets and top engineering talent. If I have to bet on one U.S. manufacturer above all others it would be Garrett. They are a marketing powerhouse. Their website, catalogs, and informational videos put First Texas and White’s to shame. Their social media game is unrivaled in the industry. This is still their game to fumble in many ways. If they sold stock I’d buy some right now.

Who knows, with this new direction, maybe I’ll even see my LTX eventually! :smile:

• Like 3

Since they already have the mold they should   release a nox with the 9by 12 and the 5by 8 for same price.That would bring new life to it's sales.For the 600    release it  with the 7by 10 coil for 25 $ less.Sell all 3 of the coils in a package for 395$ and many would jump.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People seem to forget Garrett is one of the most successful companies in the industry, time and again making products that leave their competition flat footed and dreaming for years. Ace was the Equinox of its day. Look how long it took Minelab to respond to the AT series with Equinox. Yes, Equinox rocked, but not until after Garrett ruled that arena for many years. Garrett literally defined what all terrain means with the AT series. The Garrett pinpointers redefined that market, to the tune of endless copycats. I’d posit they have done proprietary wireless better than anyone. Anyone that thinks their units do not perform has not given them a fair go. Frankly, they are the quiet company that us flagship nerds tend to overlook as they sell huge numbers of mid-range detectors and define detecting for a large portion of the U.S. market at least. They have deep pockets and top engineering talent. If I have to bet on one U.S. manufacturer above all others it would be Garrett. They are a marketing powerhouse. Their website, catalogs, and informational videos put First Texas and White’s to shame. Their social media game is unrivaled in the industry. This is still their game to fumble in many ways. If they sold stock I’d buy some right now.

Who knows, with this new direction, maybe I’ll even see my LTX eventually! :smile:

Imagine if they did a wireless pinpointer that went off the  control box like  sunray  for a target Id pinpointer with the sounds of the  Apex.I would like that.

• Like 2

No one has surpassed this yet ... cable Sun-ray Probe DX-1 on Whites Spectra V3 ... ,,
  For a while, I thought ... it would do XP on my wireless MI6 pinpoiter.-but it didn't happen ..

But I believe soon with that some Manufacturer will come ....

• Like 2