Garrett Ace Apex Target ID Range 0 - 99

I'm surprised how little mention there has been about this given the complaints on some competitors only having a 50 point target ID range (-9 to 40). The Garrett Ace Apex has a 0 - 99 or 100 point target id range, with the 0 - 39 range being the nominal ferrous range (ferrous and non-ferrous overlap on all detectors). The 40 - 99 range give you 60 points of non-ferrous discrimination. For those who like to use notching (I'm wide open full tones personally) you can notch out in segments equal to 5 points of discrimination, or 20 notch segments total.

Since the Apex uses the same scale employed in previous Garrett models it should be for owners if those models go make the switch to Apex.

ace-apex-garrett-metal-detector-display.jpg
garrett-ace-apex-target-id-scale.jpg

One of things I like about White's... Broad VDI range.

Kind of. White's goes -95 to 0 to +95. Almost 200 points but half are devoted to ferrous. And kind of pales against the CTX 3030 scale of 1750 dual ferrous/non-ferrous numbers so it's all relative I suppose. On high gain detectors there also is a correlation between the number of target id numbers displayed and how jumpy the numbers are.

I have a secret hidden fondness for the Fisher CZ and only 7 possible target responses. If I am digging coins I don't really need to know which coin I'm digging before I dig it. :smile:

Metal Detectors With Reliable Target ID Numbers

• Like 2

Good points Steve...

I have turned normalization off on occasion on my V3i....

I think it is a good feature and allows for some additional target determination...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If I am digging coins I don't really need to know which coin I'm digging before I dig it. :smile:

No kidding.  Always wonder, especially when chasing old coins, why people obsess over the vdi for copper penny, dime vs. a quarter or a clad dime vs. a silver dime.  As if it is going to make a difference on a dig decision.

19 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

On high gain detectors there also is a correlation between the number of target id numbers displayed and how jumpy the numbers are.

Bingo - that's why more is not necessarily better.  We'll see how stable the APEX TID turns out to be, one of my "We'll See" questions on my APEX quick take rackout.