Apex - I Wasn't Too Far Off The Mark...

ace-apex-garrett-metal-detector-multifrequency.jpg

I posted this in one of the APEX anticipatory threads on April 26th:

One game changer vs. Simplex at least (and any Garrett for that matter), is if the Apex included selectable single frequency a la the Anfibio and Multi Kruzer and if they were able to do it for less than say an Equinox 600, then that would fill a niche between Simplex and Equinox that was almost covered by Vanquish but which falls a little short because of its fixed ground reference and lack of even one single frequency mode.  If I've learned anything from Equinox, it is that Multi IQ is NOT a panacea for all detecting situations and am thankful to have a selectable single frequency mode on the Equinox and on my Deus/Orx for that matter.  Really comes in handy when interrogating some iffy targets and in some detecting environments it is actually preferred.  I'm thinking a tweaked AT Pro/Max/Gold that fixes iron tone, focuses on pro mode, repackages the control box into the lighter weight cell phone on a stick style and intuitive control ergonomics, and has the ability to use 5, 10, 20 khz (of course with wireless audio and rechargeable Li battery tech). Not sure it can be done from a business case/value perspective (especially if it "obsoletes" the AT series, but I would argue other detector manufacturers have done that to a certain extent) but it would be a game changer IMO if they could pull that off and then follow it up with a simultaneous multifrequency in a similar package a year or two down the road.  Their legion of brand loyal fans might be energized enough to dive in and "upgrade" their aging AT series detectors and the Ace crowd might also come along for the ride.

They exceeded even these lofty expectations by actually including MultiF in the APEX, perhaps only falling short on the lack of a fully waterproofed machine.  Really impressed with the unveiling and how they were able to keep it under wraps until the reveal.

• Like 2

I nailed it except the frequency options caught me totally by surprise - I was getting complacent with U.S. companies doing retreads and my expecting it.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, Steve Herschbach said:
Well, my final guess before tomorrow. I’m expecting an update/replacement for the Ace series. Basically Ace detectors in a slick new compact package, with rechargeable batteries and built in Z-Lynk. The Ace 250 came out in 2006, almost 15 years ago. It’s been a fabulously successful series for Garrett. However, I think right now a person would be nuts to buy an Ace when you can get a Vanquish for comparable prices. I doubt we will see multifrequency, but getting rid of the old bullet housing and going rechargeable and wireless at good prices would be enough to keep Garrett in the game. Certainly would beat anything Whites and First Texas offers in the lower price range. It’s amazing that things like wireless headphone capability is still too advanced for some so-called industry leaders to get their heads around. Garrett unlike the others have done a good job with their Z-Lynk technology and will no doubt be expanding its use across the product line. Even their pinpointer has gone wireless.

• Like 3