Found My First Cool Button This Morning!

Definitely copper, and in pretty good shape.  About 5 inches down, showed strong 24 -26 in all sweep directions. Nox 800.  Pretty stoked!

CameraZOOM-20200516144851469.jpg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Show the back mark and shank if it has them, that's how you can determine if it is modern or antique.

Ahhh... I'll get a pic tomorrow and post. I know bupkiss about buttons. 😉

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Show the back mark and shank if it has them, that's how you can determine if it is modern or antique.

Here's a pic of the back.  Verdict?

CameraZOOM-20200517063305958.jpg

Not newer with that square loop? Anyway of cleaning the back up a bit to see any text?

• Like 2

I'll try and give the back a bit of a clean and see what's under there. The dating makes good sense, as the park was first established in the 1880s.

Any suggestions on cleaning? I certainly don't want to damage the button face.

I love this forum!  Thanks guys!

47 minutes ago, kac said:

Not newer with that square loop? Anyway of cleaning the back up a bit to see any text?

Yes the square shank could mean more modern, but like I said, no way to know for sure.

12 minutes ago, Bashin said:

I'll try and give the back a bit of a clean and see what's under there. The dating makes good sense, as the park was first established in the 1880s.

Any suggestions on cleaning? I certainly don't want to damage the button face.

I love this forum!  Thanks guys!

Not sure you can really clean the back without the button falling apart.  So your call.  I have a tin backed Confederate I button with a highly corroded back.  I was told to just seal it up with an Elmers glue/water seal and put it away because they can just disintegrate.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes the square shank could mean more modern, but like I said, no way to know for sure.

Not sure you can really clean the back without the button falling apart.  So your call.  I have a tin backed Confederate I button with a highly corroded back.  I was told to just seal it up with an Elmers glue/water seal and put it away because they can just disintegrate.

Roger that, Chase. I think I'll just be happy with a cool find, and leave it be.

• Like 2