Garrett Ace Apex Battery System

32 minutes ago, kac said:

One thing I really like about my MK is the optional external batter. I have been using my RnB battery from my AT Pro in it and getting 3 days running in 19khz and still have the internal as a backup, just tossed a set of blackube's in to see if I get similar results.

Wonder if there will be an external battery option on the Apex?

New lithium rechargeable batteries last between 500-1000 cycles and have more than double the run time at nearly full power to an NiMH so technically they last longer.

If the Apex isn't user serviceable it isn't really that big a deal to pop it in the mail back to Garrett, they do have outstanding service.

Apex should be rechargeable on the fly like the Equinox and others, but I have never seen fit to add an external to my Equinox as it just adds weight.  I could maybe see doing it if I have a balance issue with the detector, but adding the weight defeats the purpose of having a light weight machine.  I have done trips where I have detected for several days straight and have never run out of battery on the Equinox during any single day of dawn to dusk hunting and always had an opportunity to put it back on the charger in the evenings (I have a large solar chargeable power bank that I can keep in my truck charging up all day off solar, if necessary, while I am out swinging - so even if it is a backwoods car trip I am set...a multi-day backpacking trip would be a different matter).  RNB makes a nice little attachable external charge bank module that secures beneath the armrest on the Equinox, but it is not rain proof and, again, IMO unceessarily adds weight.  But if RNB made something for the Equinox I can see them also making something for the Apex as it will be a smash big seller for Garrett and that will give folks a peace of mind external pack option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Do you see the battery in the picture of the insides of the control box?

In the below picture, I figured it's what's right of the white thing (speaker?) and left of the circuit board.

At least, I figured it was the battery.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-parts-explosion.jpg

2 hours ago, Sven1 said:

I think they mentioned the small cellphone like battery

Assuming you're right, that's even worse news. Nothing like a non-standard battery to make it harder for customers to do their own battery replacements.

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

Assuming you're right, that's even worse news. Nothing like a non-standard battery to make it harder for customers to do their own battery replacements.

Then get a Vanquish or something else. It is what it is and too late to do anything about it.

I say that as a guy that owns a White's 24K and one specific reason for my doing so is to have the ability to use standard AA batteries for very remote locations where battery charging would be troublesome at best. I can run a pack until it is dead, and then just take a minute to swap packs and be on my way. No worrying about keeping an eye on run time and charge level, etc. I agree there is a time and place for easy user replaceable batteries. It boils down to proper tool for the job, and if Apex does not suit, use something else.

• Like 2

Like Chase, I've never had any issues with batteries; in any of my detectors except my very old Bounty Hunter(3x9v), as i recall! But that was over 30 years ago!! Even my AT pro with AA's lasted many long hunts! 

Only high load/drain items use battery charge quickly! (my yard blower)!!  I would hazard a guess that other than PI's  (of which i don't own one as of yet) most detectors manufactured in the last several years, would not put any appreciable drain on them!

With that being said, when i carry a backpack detecting long stretches anywhere, i always have a battery bank phone charger just in case! But i have yet to use it, even on all day hunts!👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

In the below picture, I figured it's what's right of the white thing (speaker?) and left of the circuit board.

At least, I figured it was the battery.

I think you are right. I grabbed this from the video and tried to enhance. Can't quite make out the lettering, but it does look to be the battery. Certainly would be good to keep it in the pod for various reasons, excepting that user replacement bugaboo. But for all we know the case is held together by four screws and easily splits apart for replacement.... this is after all not a waterproof detector. I suspect replacing the battery will be no big deal, especially if an off the shelf cell phone battery is used.

garrett-apex-rechargeable-battery.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

if Apex does not suit, use something else.

That may be something I end up doing. But it's not a dealbreaker for me. No single feature in a metal detector is...so far, at least.

I've been mulling the idea of getting a used AT Pro and a Vanquish 340 or some similar combo.

6 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But for all we know the case is held together by four screws and easily splits apart for replacement

I hope you're right! We will find out soon enough.