New Garrett Multiflex 6"x11" Viper Coil

They only have one compatible coil so far.

"Fully waterproof, the Viper is a blend of two of Garrett’s most popular DD coils. The 11" size is large enough to cover plowed fields, but its narrow 6" footprint allows easy separation of targets in iron-infested areas. The Viper is designed as a low-impedance, broad-bandwidth coil to support the new Apex Multi-Flex frequency technology.

Note: As a result of the Multi-Flex coil technology, the Apex Viper coil is not compatible with older ACE detectors. Prior ACE coils are not compatible with an Apex detector."

Garrett Ace Apex Data & Reviews

ace-apex-garrett-metal-detector-viper-coil.jpg
Garrett Viper 6" x 11" Multiflex search coil for Ace Apex metal detector

21 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I like it!! Look's like this may be the replacement for my AT Pro! And OMG!!  they are going to have more coils forthcoming! What a Novel  idea!! Will wonders never cease!!!🇺🇸🤯👍👍

Since it is technically an Ace, it would be great if they offered a concentric/coaxial accessory coil option in their future available coil offerings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Contraption said:

I don't know about the coil. Looks a bit strange. Many time a compromise doesn't do any good. I have a 5 x 8 and at times I wish it was smaller than 8". 

I was wondering the same thing.

Seems like a nobrainer, to build a DD coil like the Viper. But why haven't other companies done it more often? There must be a reason.

11 hours ago, Contraption said:

I don't know about the coil. Looks a bit strange. Many time a compromise doesn't do any good. I have a 5 x 8 and at times I wish it was smaller than 8". 

I wish the Equinox had a coil with those dimensions.  It looks slim therefore more appropriate for water hunting than the big bulky Nox coil.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jackpine said:

I wish the Equinox had a coil with those dimensions.  It looks slim therefore more appropriate for water hunting than the big bulky Nox coil.

The 11" coil is one of the main reasons I didn't get a ML. Not just the size but weight, too. The 5 x 8 on the AT Gold is nice but still too long in trashy areas. I liked the 5" on the Sovereign. Add three more inches and just makes it more problem. Besides that long dimension adds little or no depth to the coil. So if you are in a pasture or something yeah it will cover more ground. A bigger coil causes more interference and harder to ground balance so usually needs to be detuned.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Contraption said:

A bigger coil causes more interference and harder to ground balance so usually needs to be detuned.  

That's really only true of older or poorly designed modern coils.  Never had had to detune a 9" to 11" stock coil on any of my recent detectors.  It's a classic balance of depth vs. swing coverage vs. weight vs. target size.  Right tool for the job.  I personally think a 5" width coil is a little too small for a stock coil despite the large swing coverage.  Depth will be limited to a certain extent. Would have like to have seen something with at least an 8" width for all around usage.

• Like 2

I like it. Just a hair longer than the 5" x 10" and 6" x 10" coils I have run on so many metal detector I own. And thin, low profile. In a rarity with U.S. manufacturers, comes with the coil cover... maybe Garrett has finally seen the light on this? It started as being a promotional offering with previous models but may hopefully become standard practice on their new models.

garrett-viper-6-11-multiplex-search-coil.jpg
6" x 11" DD Viper Searchcoil for Multiflex detectors

I guess if the size/shape of this coil is all there is to complain about, Garrett is dancing a jig.  Maybe the engagement party is already over, though.  (I have been pleasantly surprised at the response the Apex unveiling has received on this site.  Anyone been watching the other major MD'ing sites' reactions?)

Take a look at Mars, Detech, NEL/Cors, First Texas coil selections.  This is similar to IB/VLF coils every one of those companies makes.  And Garrett has similar looking coils for the AT/Pro, etc. and the Ace Series.  The difference here is the eccentricity (ratio of short axis to long axis) being smaller than those.  That is, the ~11" tall previously manufactured coils tend to be 7-8 inches wide; this one is narrower.

So, what was Garrett thinking/doing?  Well, they would really be shooting themselves in the foot if this coil didn't perform.  Only the most skeptical/paranoid would think that.  They could have stuck with a plastic mold from the AT/Pro or Ace, kinda like what First Texas has done reusing their 7"x11" DD across many lines.  The fact that they didn't tells us something.  I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt that they had positive reasons for doing that.  This one combines the ability to squeeze into narrow spaces with the good coverage of a moderate length coil.  For those who want deeper (and how much deeper is a round 11" than this?  I'd be interested in hearing opinions, but more importantly, facts.)  It will be interesting to see what the size and shapes of the future compatible coils will be.  If the past is any indication (not just from Garrett but pretty much every manufacturer), this is probably the intermediate sized coil and we'll, see larger and smaller.  Maybe even a concentric.

I haven't been present for previous Garrett novel introductions.  (I don't count the AT/Max.)  Do they typically start with just one available coil and then add more, or do they typically spring off the starting line with options/choices?

I wonder how interesting the next two anticipatory months are going to be.  If Garrett stays on schedule, mid-July is going to reveal even bigger fireworks, and here in North America (where Indendence Day celebrations are going to be somewhat subdued), I hope that will be as welcome and well received as this 'Memorial Day' unveiling has been.

15 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have been pleasantly surprised at the response the Apex unveiling has received on this site.  Anyone been watching the other major MD'ing sites' reactions?

Watching other forums I get the impression you could hand out free ice cream and people would bitch. Wrong flavor! :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1