Garrett Ace Apex - Rainproof Vs Waterproof

I don't see any mention of it being waterproof though, which is somewhat disappointing. Hopefully I just missed that.

It's not waterproof.

Looks really good.

Regarding Apex watertight integrity.  I suspect it is probably a lot more watertight than Vanquish from the looks of things (including a likely sealed battery compartment) but they probably could not swing a certified 30 min./3 Meter rating for some reason or just didn't want to invest in the cost of testing and certification at this time and will save that for the AT Pinnacle iteration using probably the same housing so that they can justify a higher price point (with actual minimal design cost investment)  Apex can probably can survive repeated inadvertent dunkings in a lake, river, or even surf but not continuous submersion which frankly suffices for most everyone but the most hard core water hunter or diver.    If the charge port is the weak link, I can see investing in a rubber port stopper to provide some additional insurance in the event of a water drop.  Even Vanquish is not technically rainproof without putting on it's included rain slicker.

• Like 6

Garrett Ace Apex Data & Reviews

As far as dunking, there is also the 1/8" headphone socket. I agree this is probably more "rain resistant" without an accessory cover than a Vanquish, but not sure it would survive any submersion at all, even a brief dunk, without modification.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-parts-explosion.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex parts explosion

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coinhunterseth said:

I don't see any mention of it being waterproof though, which is somewhat disappointing. Hopefully I just missed that.

no it is only rain resistant. not waterproof. They will save that for the AT Pro Apex later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As far as dunking, there is also the 1/8" headphone socket. I agree this is probably more "rain resistant" without an accessory cover than a Vanquish, but not sure it would survive any submersion at all, even a brief dunk, without modification.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-parts-explosion.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex parts explosion

For those who hunt the wet sand it  could be  better then vanquish for  protection from  salt spray,and for   Great lake hunters  from sweet water spray.

• Like 3