Gmx/24k Four Coil Comparison On Small Nuggets

On the "Spud Diggers" YouTube channel appears the video "White's GMX and 24K: All 4 coils tested". We did an in-ground performance comparison using an extremely mineralized drywash pile from a black sand-laden auriferous wash. Coils tested: 14x8, 10x6, 6x4, 6.5 concentric. Nuggets tested: 1/4 grain (laminated to a business card), 1/2 grain, (almost) one grain, and one gram, at one inch depth. GAIN settings of 10, 5, and "0". Note especially how well the 6.5" concentric and 14x8 DD coils performed. HH Jim

whites-search-coils-goldmaster-24k-mx-sport-14-10-8-6-4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

Would  love to see the nox and 6inch coil on that test with all   it's different options. 

That would probably not only need to be a different forum, but somebody other than a White’s dealer doing the video. Jim is a super nice, fair sort of fellow, but still, that’s a bit much to ask. No way to win in that kind of a situation. :smile:

As a person who owns both I can say it’s not a slam dunk win for either, which is why I have both. My dime store opinion is the Equinox offers more versatility, the 24K is more focused on and physically better designed for nugget detecting only.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The ground here will cut depth by up to 50% or more compared to the ground you run in Simon. You are blessed! :smile:

So true......

We have some really hot ground in Oregon.....

The video was precisely what it was intended to be, a synopsis of the performance characteristics of the 24K and GMX, involving different coils, target sizes, and gain settings, in highly mineralized soil. With full disclosure of Volume, VSAT, and GB offset settings. No mention, reference, or negative comparison to any other make or model of metal detector was intended or implied. This video was made at the same time that we filmed the White's Dealer GMX release video for White's dealers. Rob, Craig and I were out nuggetshooting, and since Rob had the GMX, with 2 coils, and I had my 24k with 3 coils, Rob decided to shoot this video for his own use. Until he told me a short time back that he was going to publish it, I never thought it would be broadcast. It was unrehearsed and unscripted. Frankly, the use or gain 10 was far too high, therefore the performance on the 1/4 grainer was flawed. HH Jim

• Like 2

The compression of TX in mineralization cannot be skipped by physics .... it is simply a certain range coefficient. 

A slightly larger coil can help here .... but especially with gold prospecting it is a double-sided blade ... On the one hand you can increase the range ... but at the same time reduce the sensitivity to the smallest objects ...
You simply have to find a compromise..between range and sensitivity ..

Making a multifrequency gold detector that a small coil works on will not be an easy task ... Here I am not surprised by Whites .. that during the development of 4x6 "GMX coil he devoted enough time to this problem ...... because strong TX power ... which also applies to multifrequency at high frequencies places high demands on the detector coil ...

• Like 1

Simon, as Steve stated, you are blessed with having low soil mineralization. In really bad ground, depth loss can exceed 50%. As regards depth loss, years ago, when I was a staffer for "Treasure," magazine, in my soil, to detect a dime in discriminate mode at an honest 4 inches deep was the "Holy Grail" of coin hunting. One day I was given the assignment to field test a new machine. In my test garden it screamed on the 4 incher, likewise the 5 incher. INCREDIBLE. NO detector on the market at that time could do this. Burying another dime to increasingly greater depths, I found it got an "iffy," but clearly 'good" signal to fully 10 measured inches. As I headed for the house to phone the manufacturer to ask for a "sweetheart" deal on my own machine, the thought occurred to me that I had not tested it's discrimination abilities. Tossing a steel double-ended drill bit on the ground, setting the disc. to nail reject, and passing the coil over it, it produced a great signal. It could not reject anything on or in the ground. I telephoned the company, and spoke to the owner/engineer. When I  told him the foregoing, his reply was "You have mineralized soil." He then went on to explain that soil mineralization dropped that machine's discrimination depth potential to ZERO.

• Like 2

Personally after using my GMX a couple times in the field I am super stoked! I was able to run a full sensitivity of 10 in my area, and had no major issues. This with audio boost settings, my little sub-grain test piece screamed even at a few inches. Really easy to use, and if there's any super tiny pieces of metal this thing will let you know with authority. The ground balance system works great, and you are up and running super quick, without worrying about bumping dials etc like on the older units. 

• Like 3