All coils are a compromise in some way. This is not a coil designed for max depth. It is designed to cover ground well while being a bit hotter on smaller targets and with better recovery speed than a coil with a larger diameter. Yes, good for trashy sites. I personally like it but people wanting maximum depth on coins in relatively open ground with sparser targets may want a larger diameter coil. This coil helps keep the weight and balance in line the what Garrett seems to have been wanting to achieve.

• Like 4

Its still early days yet and no one apart from field testers have access to them,being a stock coil its a happy medium performance wise i would think.As Garrett dont put any form of electronic security restriction in the coil/cable/connector then i think Garrett and third party coil makers will offer a various size array of coils for this detector.

So over time we will probably see both smaller and larger coils for this detector which will make it appeal to many new potential owners,i highly doubt that i will be buying one,one of my main buying criteria's is waiting a minimum of 12 months from launch to see if any design flaws or any other issues appear.Never veered away from this main buying criteria,and it was well over 12 months when i bought my Equinox.

I do have alot of detectors and i mean alot and twice as many coils,over the years the only detector that i have bought brand new and sold it after 18 months was my Troy X5,as luck would have it as they are pretty rare here in the UK i only lost if i recall correctly about £25 which compared to most other detectors is minimal amount.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

All coils are a compromise in some way. This is not a coil designed for max depth. It is designed to cover ground well while being a bit hotter on smaller targets and with better recovery speed than a coil with a larger diameter. Yes, good for trashy sites. I personally like it but people wanting maximum depth on coins in relatively open ground with sparser targets may want a larger diameter coil. This coil helps keep the weight and balance in line the what Garrett seems to have been wanting to achieve.

yeah! what i was thinking as well! i would think that it balances well too! 
an effective coil right out of the gate!  am sure they will offer different sizes.
so far, i like what i see, and it appears to offer distinctive audio, which
seems to "simulate"  modulated audio at depth.since it's being accomplished in software,
its a wonderful achievement. not a garrett fan by any means, but they "may" have something special here!
want to see "independent" field work, with special attention given to "junked" out parks, and other public places.

(h.h.!)

j.t.

This should be a good coil for wading my fresh water lakes looking for the fresh drops.  If only...

I'm really at a point where with the newer machines coming out it's getting frustrating that the Mfg'ers haven't quite gotten it yet when it comes to the needs of the fresh water hunters.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Perfect coil parameters for my needs as a fresh water wader. I hope a waterproof version comes out before I croak or get to old and fat to fit my neoprenes.

• Haha 4

Will be interesting how the Apex performs with that coil. If it gets descent depth and has a bit more punch than the width of the coil I think it will be a big hit. I say that because wide coils get slaughtered here in the northeast even in big fields because of the old iron. I actually do much better with my MK's stock coil over my other detectors because of this and not too enthusiastic about buying an 11" or 13" for these parts.

• Like 3

Five inches width can work, especially in highly mineralized dirt.  I know a very experienced detectorist who kills it solely using the Deus 5x9.5" elliptical coil.  8" to 9"' would be better (sweet spot) for what I do and where I hunt.  Larger than that is not really worth it.  That is why I wish they had made a 6 to 9" width elliptical coil (with 10 to 12" ground coverage) for Equinox.  11" round is ok, but just a tad too big.  The 6" round is just ridiculous from a coverage standpoint.  So that leaves a huge hole in the coil lineup for Equinox.  For Apex, the Viper is just one inch shy in optimal width for a stock coil for my purposes but the 5" is certainly serviceable and closer to what I would have liked for Equinox.  The Vanquish coils are perfect dimensionally IMO - which was the main driver for springing for the limited capability Vanquish.  Apex changes that equation, now.

• Like 1