Garrett Gizmo Armrest Extension

I am one of those people who have always found the armrest of the Garrett Ace and AT models to be just a hair short for my liking. This would include what I’m seeing on the new Ace Apex. Years ago a guy was making and selling an item called the Garrett Gizmo, a machined metal extension for the armrest. It not only made the armrest longer but acted as a counterweight making the detectors less nose heavy. Unfortunately he must of machined up a limited number, as there are no recent internet references that I can find. It seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone know where to get one of these or something like it? If not, here is an accessory sales opportunity for somebody.

3185C23C-7459-4813-83C4-BC17DDC7AF47.jpeg
Garrett Gizmo

• Like 3

Steve G should be able to make something like that. He already makes a counter weight for the Nox.

• Like 1

I actually received one as a gift to try out several years back from the guy making them. I don’t believe he knew how to market them at the time.

Hi all!

Yep, I COULD make something like this, but the gentleman who used to make them is still around; he goes by the screen name "khouse" on Dankowski's forum.  I saw a recent post from him, where he mentioned possibly starting to make them again, so I will of course refrain, and respect his "intellectual property."

Perhaps I can chat with him, and see what his intent is...

Meanwhile, it has been on the drawing board to begin producing a carbon-fiber upper "S-shaft" for Garrett machines for awhile now, though there are some logistics -- that involve a sizeable up-front investment -- that have prevented me from doing so thus far.  That's why I am only doing the lower two shaft sections for the Garrett machines, for now.  However, if/when I do begin offering the upper shaft as well, I will certainly be extending the length of it (and would then offer the counterweight system that I've used with the Equinox shafts, as well...)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Steve,  That is me.. LOL.  I've sold over 1400 of them but the last few years sales dropped from like 20 a month to 12 a year.  I don't make any money unless I make 25 at a time.  However I have had a lot of interest in the GIZMO recently.  So I will be placing 25 on ebay in a day or so.  Or just contact me directly  mowerdog@gmail.com

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 7:45 PM, steveg said:

Hi all!

Yep, I COULD make something like this, but the gentleman who used to make them is still around; he goes by the screen name "khouse" on Dankowski's forum.  I saw a recent post from him, where he mentioned possibly starting to make them again, so I will of course refrain, and respect his "intellectual property."

Perhaps I can chat with him, and see what his intent is...

Meanwhile, it has been on the drawing board to begin producing a carbon-fiber upper "S-shaft" for Garrett machines for awhile now, though there are some logistics -- that involve a sizeable up-front investment -- that have prevented me from doing so thus far.  That's why I am only doing the lower two shaft sections for the Garrett machines, for now.  However, if/when I do begin offering the upper shaft as well, I will certainly be extending the length of it (and would then offer the counterweight system that I've used with the Equinox shafts, as well...)

Steve

I'm making them again since there has been renewed interest.  See my other post.......  I sold a lot of them when the Ace Series was king.  Then sales died off through better, lighter and cheaper competition.  Now it seems the APEX has the same issues.....

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, phrunt said:

Nice idea but I certainly don't like his nut and bolt choice. 

I get that a lot.  But your arm in that position won't rub there at all.  I tell those buyers if your arm even come clost to that bolt head to send it back.  Over 1400 sold without one return.

• Like 3

Great, nice that you are making a few available again! 👍🏼

The Apex might be different than the other Ace models. I do not have any earlier models on hand to compare to, but here is the measurement. It is no different than some other detectors I have sitting around. The TRP/F19 and Simplex are about the same, for instance, while Vanquish and Equinox are longer. Below, it is 6.25 inches from the arm cup to the base of the grip.

garrett-ace-apex-forearm-length.jpg
Garrett Ace Apex forearm measurement

• Like 1